Advice on laying gas pipe under timber floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Kitchen redesign... To match the level of the adjacent living room I need to raise the kitchen concrete floor by 40mm (using 2x18mm ply sheet, plus tiles). At the same time I'd like to prep the cooker installation by laying a gas pipe across the room. This would mean putting a copper tube ON the original concrete floor, UNDER the top sheet of 18mm ply (and tiles on top of that).

This seems safe - can't imagine anyone nailing through tiles (except under the kitchen cabinets where it'll be ply) but want to make sure it's compliant before the fitter comes to install the cooker/hob...

Anyone see a problem with this?

Sponsored Links
You need a corgi engineer to install gas pipework and the hob, so I would get one in before you do the job. They will be effectively signing it off so need to be happy with the method.

Personally, the proposed solution sounds a bit dodgy to me.

htgeng said:
You need a corgi engineer to install gas pipework and the hob...

I know this. (sigh... how did I know I was going to have to explain all this)

If the gas pipe will run across the floor it needs to be planned in right at the start of the job. The cooker/hob won't be ready for fitting until a week later. I do not wish to pay for 2 visits from the RGI, and it shouldn't be necessary - I can lay a pipe which, when the RGI comes to fit the cooker, will be visible in its entirety so he can establish to his satisfaction that it is safe. If he refuses for any reason - his prerogative - then I need to know it won't be because the pipe run is non-compliant for some reason. Hence my question to this group.

If you have any constructive observations about why this "sounds a bit dodgy" I'd be pleased to hear them.

Do it in screwed black iron pipe........ask the corgi about the sizing........install it and get it tested....corgi`s don`t like graft, so you probably wouldn`t get one to screw+fit the barrell :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I need to raise the kitchen concrete floor by 40mm (using 2x18mm ply sheet, plus tiles)

Why are you using wood which will rot when a concrete screed mix will do the job properly?

As for the gas pipe, run it in a plastic duct or have it surface mounted for piece of mind. :D

todiyfor said:
[- I can lay a pipe which, when the RGI comes to fit the cooker, will be visible in its entirety so he can establish to his satisfaction that it is safe.

Its difficult for me to understand why the pipe will be viewable but not installable at that time? Is it because it will be running through support timbers?

I would be less comfortable about a copper pipe being out of sight and in contact with potentially damp concrete. My preference would be for it to be suspende so its not in contact with any concrete or inside a plastic duct or overflow pipe etc.

Tony

Agile said:
Its difficult for me to understand why the pipe will be viewable but not installable at that time?

Fair point - if the consensus is "no problem" I'll build the floor to allow for it. I don't want to discover it's not OK in a week's time when the kitchen fitting work has excluded all other options. The RGI can physically lay the pipe, but I need to prep a cavity in the floor now. Looks OK from the posts here, so I'll go ahead. Agree about leaving it suspended - thanks.

Gas pipe needs to be run in kuterlex coated copper. Put pipe in first and fix floor battens to suit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back