Gluing toilet to porcelain floor tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have tiled our bathroom floor with porcelain tiles and are in the process of trying to find a drill bit that won't burn out when trying to drill the holes for the toilet!

However, my day was talking to a plumber who said that it's not necessary to screw the toilet down as there is a special glue that can be used. Is this correct? Will the glue be strong enough to hold the weight of the toilet?

P.s. I was going to post this on the Tiling forum but thought it more appropriate here as I'm sure there will be more plumbing experience here.

Sponsored Links
corgiman said:
not that I know off

have cemented a few down in my time though
Maybe it's the cement he's referring to. He said that he has done it before so I think it should be safe enough. Suppose the worst that can happen is that the toilet will come loose so we can just get it drilled down then.

blueharvester said:
corgiman said:
not that I know off

have cemented a few down in my time though
Maybe it's the cement he's referring to. He said that he has done it before so I think it should be safe enough. Suppose the worst that can happen is that the toilet will come loose so we can just get it drilled down then.

i would not I have only cemented bogs down on to screed or concrete doubt if the cement would fix to the tiles

just buy a decent drill bit and do it proper like

:)

Sponsored Links
In my experience any good quality BRAND NEW drill bit should do the job. A variable speed non-hammer drill would also help. You will need to break the glaze on the tile surface at the centre point of the hole in order for the drill to bite. I have used a hand held tile cutter for this purpose.

Not aware of any "special glue" unless he meant silicone sealant :rolleyes: . Might be worth asking him what he meant.

you should really put the toilet on a bed anyway ,even if your not screwing it to the floor....

hav it said:
you should really put the toilet on a bed anyway ,even if your not screwing it to the floor....

on a bed of what hav?

I used to whack a bit of felt under em but i would hardley say it was a bed

:)

if the loo has a decent base with enough surface area in contact with the tiles, plus the tiles are sound then a good quality silicone sealant will do.

just try and physically pull the toilet off the tiles!

i do condone the use of mechanical fixings but in some cases an adhesive will be adequate or even better.

When I used to work on new build they only used to silicone down the pan. As long as you leave it 24hrs without touching it it will hold. If you move/knock the pan even slightly this will knacker the silicone grip ;)

i sealed it with evo stick then once it had set siliconed the rim worked a treat.

plus if you need to move it its quite easy

if the toilet manufacturers wanted their products siliconed/gripfiled/cemented,then why do they go to the trouble of putting holes in them, for screws? :rolleyes: or are those holes their to make the product look nice? :rolleyes: buy a good drill bit and screw it down brass or stainless screws are best and mind the pipes because some plumbers have not figured out how to first fix properly :LOL: :LOL:

You need a diamond tipped core drill bit to get through porcelain. Start the hole off with a 10mm masonary bit until there is a hollow big enough for your core bit to sit in, a decent diamond tipped 8mm core bit will cost less than £10 and last for about 20 cuts as long as you use plenty of water when drilling!

You will be amazed at the ease of cutting through the tiles with one of these !

Look down the tiling page, there are two posts within the last 14 days about drilling porcelain, cheapest option is a 6mm diamond coated core bit.

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back