Install shower switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi just wondering if i could get some help with installing a shower switch, say i have my two Live wires (red), my two Neutral (black) and two earth (green/yellow), how are these connected to the four points of the shower switch? The switch has two connetions to a Load, and two to a Feed, which wires should be connected to thse points? Thanks

Sponsored Links
I am concerned that if you need to ask this very basic question are you sure that you should be doing the work where you will be inroducing a mix of electricity and water?.

There are other things to consider as well: equipotential bonding, RCD, notifiactaion to the lacal authority to comply with the law, current loading and much more.

To give u a start though...

The live and nuetral Feed are, well, the feed. Umm that means the cable coming from your consumer unit.
The live and neutral load are, well, the load. Umm that means the cable going to the shower.
The two earth conductors (green/yellow) will go into that handy terminal marked 'earth'.

All i want to do is replace the existing shower switch, surely there can't be that much danger with that, seeing as all other installations have already been complete?

Yeah, as Taylor says above, connect the red and black wires in the cable to the shower to the Load L & N, connect the red and black wires in the cable from the consumer unit to the Feed L & N. Both earths (and prossibly a supplementary bond) connect to the earth terminal.

Sponsored Links
Sorry Steve, wasnt clear that this was just a replacement...
More to it if you are starting from scratch. Hope it all works
OK

to be fair, if it's a straight replacement then you should replace like for like..

whichever wires come out of the load side of the old switch go into the load side of the new switch...

Make sure that the terminals are properly tightned up on the new shower switch.

Even a slightly loose connection will cause the switch to burn out and fail, and damage the wiring at the same time.

steve119 said:
Hi just wondering if i could get some help with installing a shower switch...
All i want to do is replace the existing shower switch...
If you were replacing the switch then it seems very odd that you didn't...

a) ...say so at the beginning;
b) ...just detach each wire from the old switch and attach it to the equivalent terminal on the new one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back