Sink overflow blocked with marble.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my 4yo son put a marble, the same size as the overflow hole into the overflow hole.

How will i remove this?

I tried drilling it, and hammering it with a nail but didn't make a difference.

plugged.jpg

Sponsored Links
try gluing something to it with no more nails or something, and pulling it out.

It just so happens i have some wet grab handy, i'll give it a try.

Thankyou

Having hammered it you may have jammed it in too tight for this cure.

A vacuum cleaner hose placed over the overflow hole may suck it out. Ensure the plug is NOT in the sink so that air can go down the plug hole. other wise the water in the U bend may get sucked up into the cleaner if the marble comes out.

Sponsored Links
The marble can move around, im waiting on the glue drying then ill put liquid soap round it.

looks like the drilling has caused some damage to the marble. If pulling it out doesnt work (which i suspect may not), then try wedging something in to stop the marble moving and continue to drill it so it eventually breaks down. you need to be carful with any hammering etc as its easy to crack the porcelain.

If all the above fails, then you could try the following:-

Get under your sink and cap the waste pipe off as close to the underside of the sink as you can, but it must include the overflow. Ensure all your joints are tight. Use a compression fitted end cap.

Now fill with water, and use a sink plunger to generate some pressure behind the marble.......It might just work....... :eek:

Ah bless, I bet you're proud dad that he has such good spatial skills at such a young age (put the circular object into the circular hole just like at nursery !!!).

Anyway, mad idea to fight fire with fire. Try detaching the plastic pipes and put more loose marbles into the overflow from below. Then give the last marble a sharp tap with a hammer. The impact may just transfer through the marbles and pop the first one back out again into the basin.

Alternatively, the basin may explode into a thousand pieces in which case just stop his pocket money until 2012 to pay for it.

LOL or the marbles will get another stuck from behind :LOL:

kids love em ! (the little sods)

i am wondering if its uneven around its sphere!!!!

as in keep rolling it in different directions and try sucking with a vacuum

maybe even filling the sink with cold water incase its expanded by even the smallest amount ;)

You can still use the sink without the hole. Just don't overfill it & you'll be OK.

Having stated the obvious, I'll get my coat...

classic!

You could try using some of the industrial strength double sided sticky pads...

ive got some thats on a small roll and its very very sticky and may have a good chance to get it out.

I think the marble may be too shiny for the super glue to bond but that may be worth a try.

Failing that get your vacuum cleaner... provided it has one of the long thin attachements you can fit to it that you would use for cleaning down the side of car seats etc >>

fit that on, then get a straw, and some masking tape, and fasten the straw to the end of the nozzle using the masking tape as a seal...to create a micro nozzle with very high suction.

This may well get a good grip on the marble :D

In all seriousness I have used this technique on several occasions, the last time to retrieve a ball bearing from inside an engine bore when a spark plug was removed (long story!)

It worked a treat but you can only really leave the vacuum on for 5 or 10 second bursts or it will overheat the motor as its trying to suck a lot of air in through that straw!

good luck and may the force be with you

By the this happens a lot mostly diamond earrings or wedding rings.

Have you thought about General RAM Jet ( uses hydraulic shock waves) to dislodge it?

What you do is pump the Ram Jet to 30 PSI hold a rag in front of the marble fire away and this may blow the marble out, May help to put WD 40 (oil) around the marble for less friction

Gum the marble stuck wiv some bathroom sealer...... Drill a hole in the marble...... Shove the hot end of a electric soldering iron in the drilled hole ...... Get it good & hot........ Then sloosh some ice cold water on it ........ In a ideal world this is when the marble should shatter :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back