Dimmer switch to heated towel rail

jma

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building an airing cupboard. Since we have instant hot water I have no cylinder to make use of. A mate suggested I use a heated towel rail and control the temperature of the towel rail via a dimmer switch, to save money and stop overheating in confined space.
I have the following:
1 heated towel rail rated: 65Watts
1 dimmer switch rated: Max load: 500Watts(incandescant), 400Watts (dichroic), Min load: 75Watts, Rated 500VA
Again my mate suggestes the load of 65MW being less than min load of 75Watts should be no problem and will be 100% safe, is this true?
Not that I don't trust my mate but a second opinion is always re-assuring.
Replies appreciated.

Sponsored Links
jma said:
Again my mate suggestes the load of 65MW being less than min load of 75Watts should be no problem and w
Presuming thats a typo( watts not megawatts), or your cupboard is going to get rather warm :D , but why the dimmer unit? I would not have thought it was needed on heater that small.

Sponsored Links
If you fit a dimmer switch, the towel rail will still get just as hot, the only difference is it will take longer to do so.

Go with the thermostat or timer ideas, or you could do both. I have both on the towel rail in my bathroom.

I'd go with thermostat, don't know what regs apply to you down there in New Zealand.

Don't you just rub two sheep together to keep warm?

About the "dimmer", don't use a standard one. Dimplex make a special one just for their towel rails which turns down the heat - the surface temperature gets surprisingly high & where they are unshielded and installed in premises used by the infirm or disabled, it is necessary to be able to limit the surface temperature to prevent burns.

We have some dimplex oil filled radiators, what is the point in a radiator with a safety switch to stop it getting hot? Totally useless!

Will start with a simple switch to see how much warmth the towel rail creates in the confined space. Then as suggested will decide between a thermostat or a timer. Almost all replies appreciated, I might live in NZ but I'm British, why do you think I came to you guys for advice!
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back