Do you need planning permission to put window in a wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a terraced house and what we will use as the master bedroom is a very long bedroom at the back of the house. However, it's strange but there is only a small window at the side, looking on to next doors back. I would like to put french doors in the back wall, enabling us to look out on to the open fields. Basically, cut out the brick, put in a lintel and fix in French doors with a railing half way up, (I believe they call it a Juliet Balcony)
Does anyone know if I would I need planning permission for this?

Sponsored Links
Building control would need to be notified - best bet is to bell your local council.
Ah it does cost for council to issue f.e.n.s.a cert etc.

You will definitely need inspection by BC but you should also talk to your local planning as you may also need PP & some planning depts. seem to have a distinct dislike of balconies. I included one over a proposed flat roof utility room extension planed as part of the property modernisation we are currently doing. It was also in our bedroom at the back of the house but it was like I had started WW3! We have a very large garden & farm fields to one side but the objections were overlooking – in our case this consisted of a summer house about 100m away (not even a proper building), some sheep & cows & the possibility of craning my head around a wall to look into a neighbours very small garden! I wanted to get on in with the rest of the work & rather than waste time arguing the toss, I just removed the balcony; things may be easier with a Juliet balcony but you should check.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back