Extractor Fan and Shaver socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a standard pendulum light with a pull cord in my bathroom and I would like to install, firstly some down light, an extracor fan and a shaver socket.

I know the shaver socket can be spurred of the ring main with a fused socket but I am not to sure what to do with the lights and the extractor fan. I also what the extractor fan to be switched on seperately to the lights.
Can anyone please give me some advice.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
The shaver socket can be powered from the lighting circuit.

All the diagrams u need to wire the fan are in the WIKI at the top of this forum.

Rusty G said:
I also what the extractor fan to be switched on seperately to the lights.
So nobody ever uses it? Or maybe so it gets left on all night?

Very very bad idea. People need light to pee / poo / bathe. Wire it to the light. Then it WILL get used.

except in the daytime when it's light enough to pee or poop without switching the lights on..

put it on a motion sensor.. will come on for 15 mins when you enter ( plenty of time even if you sit still.. ) and be run on for 15 mins when you leave..

since no one has said it yet...

electrical work in bathrooms is subject to Part P of the building regulations and should be notified to the LABC befoer commencing work..

Sponsored Links
ColJack said:
put it on a motion sensor.. will come on for 15 mins when you enter ( plenty of time even if you sit still.. ) and be run on for 15 mins when you leave.
Excellent idea. :D Why didnt i think of that

Dont forget if you install an automatic sensor i.e. PIR it must also have a manual overide (Building Regs Part F Table 1.5)

As mentioned above a shaver outlet can be spurred off the lighting circuit and personally if it were me id do just that.

As for the extractor remember the wiring will be slightly different if you have a run over type fan i.e 3 pole... perm live...neutral and switch.
I always install i 3 pole fan switch in line from light fitting/junction box to the extractor for reasons of mechanical maintenance as just using a light switch to to do this you are still left with a perm live (which ain't good).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back