DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

misty windows

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
diane1

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:40 pm Reply with quote

me again!

has anyone used these "window wizard" type services that say they can unmist your double glazing?
if so, are they any good or is it better to have the unit changed?

diane
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
conservatoryTV

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:02 pm Reply with quote

I'm in the business and I've never heard of this. If a window has misted up inside it needs replacing. There's no way of fixing the problem as the sealed unit is fixed together. I'd be gobsmacked if this was possible. icon_eek.gif
 Alert Moderators
diane1

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:11 pm Reply with quote

hi, your right!!, i gave them a ring, they do replace the glass, but with company names like "cloudy to clear" and "window wizard" it does sound like they fix the problem without changing the glass.
well it did to a dumb woman like me!!

cheers anyway, have got a guy coming to measure me up on weds...cant wait icon_lol.gif
 Alert Moderators
sandancer

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:45 pm Reply with quote

Ive just had a guy round and he says that demisting can be done by a process whereby they drill small holes in outside glass diagonally opposite each other then pumping chemicals into the cavity. The holes are then plugged and are hardly noticeable. the job is gauranteed for 20 years.
Has anyony any experience of this system?
Iam waiting for a quote
icon_rolleyes.gif
 Alert Moderators
diane1

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:55 pm Reply with quote

hi there, ive seen the adverts for this type of thing, i opted for new glass in the end
will you post a reply on how you get on for future reference?

good luck
diane icon_smile.gif
 Alert Moderators
sandancer

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:38 pm Reply with quote

Hi diane1
Thanks for the prompt response. Will keep you posted.

SD icon_lol.gif
 Alert Moderators
wms

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:34 pm Reply with quote

would be very keen to know how you get on, as when a unit fails air re enters the sealed cavity between the glass. and the dessicant crystals absorb as much moister as they can the remaining is what condensates on the glass. this can leave water marks when dried out in warmer weather. so would be interested to see how this system works. as I am at present struggling to under stand the concept of pumping chemicals in to the unit. also if the unit is failed what will seal the entry point as this can be near on impossible to establish on inspection. so further air can enter the cavity.where it got in the first place.

Never heard of this before we have made thousands of sealed units over the years. so I would be throwing these questions back at them as a sealed unit normally has a guarantee of between 5 to 10 years some will last for ever other will fail. but a 20 year guarantee? is more than would have been given originally.so I am very interested to see how you go on.
 Alert Moderators
Richard C

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:53 pm Reply with quote

wms wrote:

I am at present struggling to under stand the concept of pumping chemicals in to the unit. also if the unit is failed what will seal the entry point as this can be near on impossible to establish on inspection. so further air can enter the cavity.where it got in the first place.

Unless the “treatment” totally removes the moisture (not absorbs it in situ) & then seals the gap where it originally came in + the gap used for the treatment “injection”, it can only ever be a temporary fix!
 Alert Moderators
JohnD

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:51 am Reply with quote

you can demist double-glazing by making a tiny "breathing" hole in the glass (on the "outdoor" side) and leaving it unsealed. I suppose you would need a diamond bit, and the glass would have to be ordinary tempered, not toughened.

Have used a comparable method myself when putting in secondary panes into wooden frames as home-made double glazing (but in that position it is far easier to make the pinhole in the frame)
 Alert Moderators
sandancer

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:44 pm Reply with quote

I have the same doubts as yourself WMS This fellow reckons that the idea came from Canada. He tells me that he's been over there on a course with the manufacturers. Anyway he's going to give me a Quote for this treatment, and one for replacement units. I'll most likely go for the latter if indeed I get him to do the job as I have a few options in hand, but I'll quiz him further about how he effects the seal, and I'll keep you posted.

Thanking you all for your replies. SD. icon_sad.gif
 Alert Moderators
sandancer

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:41 pm Reply with quote

The guy never came back to me. Must have been a load of c--p
Best wishes SD
 Alert Moderators
woodface

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:08 pm Reply with quote

For anyone finding this old thread via google, I'm looking at the options to remedy/replace one poorly window, and came across some useful info.

There's more about how units fail & the 'repair' route at an American site for 'Home Inspectors', though they don't seem big fans -

http://www.nachi.org/condensation-double-paned-windows.htm
 Alert Moderators
freddymercurystwin

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:52 pm Reply with quote

woodface wrote:
and came across some useful info.

No its not useful, units fail and need to be replaced, any 'repair' will, if it works, only be temporary. End of.
 Alert Moderators
woodface

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:22 am Reply with quote

The explanation of how units fail and WHY 'defogging' isn't a proper solution is extremely useful in coming to a decision.

Unless you already Know It All.

Which I suspect you do.

About everything. icon_wink.gif
 Alert Moderators
Basi

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:41 pm Reply with quote

I'm a little surprised that nobody's explained all the relevant points in one post.

1) If it mists up, it's no longer sealed. Therefore any demisting will only be temporary.
2) The cheapest 'solution' is to introduce breather holes, which will clear the misting, but reduce the thermal insulation significantly.
3) If the leaks can be identified and mostly sealed, desiccant like silica gel can be introduced (to buy extra time) and its access hole blocked.
4) By far the best solution is to have the window rebuilt with the original grass, but new flashing.

This isn't recommended by installers, as the UPVC required to surround the glass costs well under 2 pounds (US$3) a metre and a professional should be able to rebuild the window in minutes, leaving the customer to wonder why they're being charged a small fortune.

Even if they fill the cavity with some kind of dry gas from a cylinder, the additional expense would be minimal.

Many installers will be 'kind enough' to dispose of the old window for you, recycling the glass on their next astronomically expensive build. If the glass is recycled, there may be a faint line close to and parallel with one of the seals, indicating where the previous seal touched the glass.

One instance in which a new window might be justified is if you want to upgrade the glass. This could be for improved UV protection, higher reflectivity, solar power collection, increased strength or even bullet-proofing.

Anyone adept at DIY and with access to Google and YouTube should have no trouble doing the whole job in a morning. A friend did one of his years before the web and to the best of my knowledge it's been fine ever since.[/i]
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Windows and Doors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: