Plumber Training and Getting Corgi registered, Any Advice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone recommend training courses that lead to nationally recognised qualifications and ultimately Corgi affiliation?

I am asking for someone like me who has very basic plumbing knowledge and am toying with the idea of getting into the field.

Ideally would like to do courses in eves or weekends. Have been told about the TradeSkills4U courses in Gatwick, but would like something nearer to Heathrow.

Any advice regarding the industry and qualifications much appreciated...

Sponsored Links
i would trry your local colleges as they should run evening classes. The course would be basic plumbing skills - technical cert / NVQ2. Once you complete this two year course, you can go onto level three, do your CCN1 etc..etc...and then apply to CORGI for a badge if you working in the gas industry. (someone correct me if this is not accurate) I wouldn't go to those sharks that tell you you can be qualified in weeks, the course i'm on would take at least a year if i was to do it everyday. There is just too much to learn. You need to think this through properly if you arte going to give it a go. College places are like gold dust.....

Thanks ... Like you said college places are like gold dust. I managed to do a basic plumbing course (evening) at my local
college. The course was more theory than practical so didnt really get a feel for it.

I'm not looking for a fast route or short cut course. Colleges around here do not offer evening or weekend courses with actual
qualifications, so would be pointless.

I don't mind looking into 'reputable' private companies that offer the courses with suitable timings.

Has anyone had experience of TradeSkills4u in Gatwick?? Any good?? Worth pursuing??

Haven't got a clue about them and certainly never seen them advertise in any of the plumbing mags I receive. Sounds like they are a get rich quick bunch to me.

Stick to colleges or CITB training centres that are more regulated. There is no quick way to do it properly. I think you now have to have 70 hours gas experience working with a corgi before you can do gas tickets.

Also you could contact gas training centres for advice.

Sponsored Links
Beware the "rogue" Trainer

I will make you CORGI for ONE MILLLLION DOLLARS and ten minutes of your time

you could EARN ££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££'s
:)

Try giving NESCOT Gas Centre at Ewell a ring - 020 8394 3070/3280. They do a good range of courses, some on a Saturday even.

And a very friendly bunch we are too!:cool:

try and find a college that does nvq or similar.

I finish an NVQ3 full time gas installation and maintainance course tomorrow :cool: 10 months it took

Start my new job on July the 2nd.

Then the real learning will begin :confused:

gas4you said:
Stick to colleges or CITB training centres that are more regulated. There is no quick way to do it properly. I think you now have to have 70 hours gas experience working with a corgi before you can do gas tickets.

i think you'll find it's 70 days, not hours

mgheating said:
gas4you said:

no gas is right, my local training provider insists on 80hours or two weeks work before accepting a candidate on a ACS course

I think CORGI insist on 18 months (after acs achievement) experiance before they will let you have your own CORGI badge.

corgiman said:
mgheating said:
gas4you said:

no gas is right, my local training provider insists on 80hours or two weeks work before accepting a candidate on a ACS course

I think CORGI insist on 18 months (after acs achievement) experiance before they will let you have your own CORGI badge.
I got my corgi badge last year-2 weeks after passing my acs exams.
was allowed to take my acs exams after a 9 month bpec gas foun dation course+ some onsite work

simple ring round, make sure its fully accredited..bing bang bosh youve spent your dosh and shyte in return the moral is course vary in price upto 5 grand for a basic plumbing course worth absolutley nothin as its accredited but from them not c+g or real nvq.

some colleges have readopted the old ways and will now take mature student for evening courses at a set price basic 500 quid etc.

make sure you know what your getting and make sure youve got it in writting as you will have no redress on it when you get aload of shyte in return for you dosh.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back