DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Faulty Car Alarm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Car Repairs / Maintenance
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
davejold

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:31 pm Reply with quote

Went to use the car today (Toyota Carina E 1997) and the alarm keeps activating. I have had to disconnect the battery to stop the alarm.
Can anyone tell me the easiest way (for a novice) to disconnect the alarm. I can then use the car and have it repaired at my convenience.
Regards, Dave
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
maggyboy

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:57 pm Reply with quote

how old is the car battery? if it aint got much power that could set the alarm off. i had the same problem with mine
 Alert Moderators
Ron Gamma

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:19 pm Reply with quote

www.toyotaownersclub.co.uk/forums

check out the forum for your model and you'll find that Toyota alarms go a bit spast!c after a while. it is usually down to corrosion of the circuit board in the alarm sounder box inside the front right wing under the washer bottle. most people disconnect the sounder if it does not respond to other checks such as
spider in the air vents
loose change in the centre console (seriously!!)
over sensitive volumetric sensor (find the adjuster box under the dash or in the centre console near handbrake ratchet)

I've been chasing a similar problem on my '98 Avensis, which is fine all winter but once the temeprature goes above 16-20 degrees sets the alarm off.

good luck.
 Alert Moderators
^neo^

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:58 pm Reply with quote

Ron Gamma wrote:

I've been chasing a similar problem on my '98 Avensis, which is fine all winter but once the temeprature goes above 16-20 degrees sets the alarm off.

Have you tried leaving a window cracked open?
I've come across this problem on other cars where they're so airtight when the sun comes out and they get hot, pressure builds up in the car (presumably moving the door out a little) and set the alarm off.

Worth a go!
 Alert Moderators
davejold

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:26 pm Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for help, I have managed to find the sounder and disconnected it. No alarm but at least I can drive the car.
 Alert Moderators
Ron Gamma

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:41 pm Reply with quote

^neo^ wrote:
Ron Gamma wrote:

I've come across this problem on other cars where they're so airtight when the sun comes out and they get hot, pressure builds up in the car (presumably moving the door out a little) and set the alarm off.

Worth a go!

Hi Neo, The alarm has TVSS so if I leave a window or sunroof open it will set of the volumetric sensor. I did add packing pieces to each door switch to allow for expansion of the rubber seals but it had no effect. I have also tried the vehicle with all air vents open/closed and the air selector on fresh/recycle but no result. I think I have a thermal failure in a PCB somewhere but there are 3 different black boxes for this particular alarm system.(one behind the glove box, one behind the dash near left knee and the sounder unit in the OSF wing)
 Alert Moderators
^neo^

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:01 am Reply with quote

Ron Gamma wrote:
^neo^ wrote:
Ron Gamma wrote:

Worth a go!

Hi Neo, The alarm has TVSS so if I leave a window or sunroof open it will set of the volumetric sensor. I did add packing pieces to each door switch to allow for expansion of the rubber seals but it had no effect. I have also tried the vehicle with all air vents open/closed and the air selector on fresh/recycle but no result. I think I have a thermal failure in a PCB somewhere but there are 3 different black boxes for this particular alarm system.(one behind the glove box, one behind the dash near left knee and the sounder unit in the OSF wing)

Sounds like you're screwed then icon_lol.gif
Has it not got a diagnostic mode so it tells you which sensor set of the alarm last?
 Alert Moderators
Ron Gamma

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:25 pm Reply with quote

diagnostic mode = toyota dealership + cheque book icon_sad.gif

i'm screwed.
 Alert Moderators
^neo^

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:46 pm Reply with quote

Ron Gamma wrote:
diagnostic mode = toyota dealership + cheque book icon_sad.gif

i'm screwed.

Damn.
Alot of them tell you with a series of flashes on the led after you reset it which sensor is playing up
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Car Repairs / Maintenance All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: