Faulty Car Alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Went to use the car today (Toyota Carina E 1997) and the alarm keeps activating. I have had to disconnect the battery to stop the alarm.
Can anyone tell me the easiest way (for a novice) to disconnect the alarm. I can then use the car and have it repaired at my convenience.
Regards, Dave

Sponsored Links
how old is the car battery? if it aint got much power that could set the alarm off. i had the same problem with mine

www.toyotaownersclub.co.uk/forums

check out the forum for your model and you'll find that Toyota alarms go a bit spast!c after a while. it is usually down to corrosion of the circuit board in the alarm sounder box inside the front right wing under the washer bottle. most people disconnect the sounder if it does not respond to other checks such as
spider in the air vents
loose change in the centre console (seriously!!)
over sensitive volumetric sensor (find the adjuster box under the dash or in the centre console near handbrake ratchet)

I've been chasing a similar problem on my '98 Avensis, which is fine all winter but once the temeprature goes above 16-20 degrees sets the alarm off.

good luck.

Ron Gamma said:
I've been chasing a similar problem on my '98 Avensis, which is fine all winter but once the temeprature goes above 16-20 degrees sets the alarm off.

Have you tried leaving a window cracked open?
I've come across this problem on other cars where they're so airtight when the sun comes out and they get hot, pressure builds up in the car (presumably moving the door out a little) and set the alarm off.

Worth a go!

Sponsored Links
Hi, thanks for help, I have managed to find the sounder and disconnected it. No alarm but at least I can drive the car.

^neo^ said:
Ron Gamma said:

I've come across this problem on other cars where they're so airtight when the sun comes out and they get hot, pressure builds up in the car (presumably moving the door out a little) and set the alarm off.

Worth a go!

Hi Neo, The alarm has TVSS so if I leave a window or sunroof open it will set of the volumetric sensor. I did add packing pieces to each door switch to allow for expansion of the rubber seals but it had no effect. I have also tried the vehicle with all air vents open/closed and the air selector on fresh/recycle but no result. I think I have a thermal failure in a PCB somewhere but there are 3 different black boxes for this particular alarm system.(one behind the glove box, one behind the dash near left knee and the sounder unit in the OSF wing)

Ron Gamma said:
^neo^ said:
Ron Gamma said:

Worth a go!

Hi Neo, The alarm has TVSS so if I leave a window or sunroof open it will set of the volumetric sensor. I did add packing pieces to each door switch to allow for expansion of the rubber seals but it had no effect. I have also tried the vehicle with all air vents open/closed and the air selector on fresh/recycle but no result. I think I have a thermal failure in a PCB somewhere but there are 3 different black boxes for this particular alarm system.(one behind the glove box, one behind the dash near left knee and the sounder unit in the OSF wing)

Sounds like you're screwed then :LOL:
Has it not got a diagnostic mode so it tells you which sensor set of the alarm last?

Ron Gamma said:
diagnostic mode = toyota dealership + cheque book :(

i'm screwed.

Damn.
Alot of them tell you with a series of flashes on the led after you reset it which sensor is playing up

Sponsored Links
Back