pump cutting out.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok. i have an old servowarm elite 50 and the the pump seems to cut out occasionally causing the water to kettle and then this cuts off the gas through the high temp cut out.. (i'm guessing here from advice i have been given elsewhere).
Anyway i called an engineer out who said the system is sludged up and this is prob stopping the pump.. this also causes excessive gassing which trips out the over heat.
His advice was to change the pump, add another AAV and desludge the system and add anti knock.,

Now i can find my way around a pump and some pipework so i drained the system down.. cleaned the pump head and ran antisludge for a week.. (pump still cut out)..

flushed it all through and then drained it down till clear.. (after refilling running and emptpying a few times)
then added anti knock and inhibitor.
next day all fine.
next day back to same problem

there is already an aav which works cos it always kicks out air when the pump cuts out.
do i really need another one?

is it likel;y that the pump is acutally shot.. it runs fine when it does run.. but i'm wondering if there is a problem with the boiler cicuit board.
the timer is fine.. cos i'ce just replaced that too anyway (it was an old simple one and i addeed a 5/2 one with 3 day settings rather than 2)

Any advice would be appreciated..

Sponsored Links
When your pump stops is there power to it?

The Elite 50 is one of Servowarms best (ie its rubbish).

Perleeeease get that boiler put in the bin.

Your pilot would go out if pump failure as they have the worse o/heat stats built by the elves who work for santa.

Get shot.

David

pump overrun pcb is shot

as soggy say get rid you aint going to be able to get hold of the parts anyway

ah that explains something. the pump would occasionally not cut out after 5 minutes of the heat going off ie overrun.

as for parts. i should be able to get the part. i bought the pcb 2 years back for the servowarm depot in totnes for £20. they said then they had no plans to stop stocking the part as it was the same pcb as in a few others.

I appreciate that the boiler is a bag of spanners and old (prob60% efficient at best), but i just dont have the money to replace it, part of the problem is that it only has a 15mm gas pipe to it. corgi guys tell me that needs to be upgraded if i decide i need a new boiler.. and before you say anything I'm not doing that.. i know its illegal.
payback on this work would be about 10 years at best!! :(

Sponsored Links
Servowarm sold directly to you???????????????????????????

criminy christmas how did you pull that that dont sell to RGI's!!!!!!

how long ago was this?

was just before christmas 2005, and yes the depot/shop is still there!..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back