Oak worktops for kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me what is the best way to apply oil to Oak worktops? We were told by the fitter to apply liberally but this has created excessive build up of said oil. I'm inclined to sand down to wood and start again.

Sponsored Links
You should apply a liberal coat BUT remove any excess within 5-10mins otherwise as you have found it dries to a thick stick mess. Scrap or sand it off and start again.

Apply a coat, wipe off excess with a clean rag, allow to dry. Then rubdown with a grey Scotchbrite pad (not wire wool) apply another coat and so on. aim for one coat a day for a week, one coat a week for the next month then once every 6mths or so as required.

Don't forget that the underside will also need several coats as well as any cut edges for sinks, hobs etc. And lay the rags flat outside to avoid spontanius combustion.

Jason

Any automotive paint suppliers. Machine Mart also do a lookey-likey grey polishing pad (they're like a fine version of the familiar green scouring pad)

Scrit

Sponsored Links
Ok guys have sanded it all back and have applied numerous coats and it looks great. However, how do I know when there is sufficient oil on tops?

Dulux said:
Ok guys have sanded it all back and have applied numerous coats and it looks great. However, how do I know when there is sufficient oil on tops?

Follow Jasonb's advice for the number of coats, his advice is spot on........

Yep - follow instructions as given - but also ... one of the worktop suppliers suggests that the worktop is sufficiently oiled when drops of water on the surface stay in drops. If the water spreads out then the tops need oiling again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back