Socket Positions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I'm currently completely rewiring my old 1930's semi. My question relates to the position of the sockets.

1 - Is it true that as it is an old house, the height requirement of between 450mm and 1200mm doesn't apply or is that wrong if I'm doing a total refurb?

2 - I read somewhere that the sockets must be a certain distance from the corners of the room. Is this true?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is it a total rewire or just some additions? If additions then I would put them the same as the others (unless they are at a ridiculous height)

There is no criteria on distance from the corner of a room but common sense is needed (ie not butted right up against the corner or terminating will be awkward)

EDIT: Too slow for Davy :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Sponsored Links
(1) you might be an old person who has got used to sockets low down, to give them a better chance of being clouted by hoovers, furniture etc.

However now that all new work, and a lot of renovation, is done at the new heights, people are coming to get used to it, and will look at your low sockets and think they look weird. They will also think the electrics are due for renewal as they must be quite old.

Also, the higher sockets are more convenient for the older person, the overweight person, the person with a bad knee or a bad back, or the pregnant person.

JohnD said:
Also, the higher sockets are more convenient for the older person, the overweight person, the person with a bad knee or a bad back, or the pregnant person.

How many of these attributes are applicable to you MrD ;)

Brilliant. I'll put the sockets at the new height. I was a little unsure at first thinking they may look weird, but I suppose if this is standard, it's better that way.

My main concern was putting the sockets near a corner. Obviously I'm not going to put then butting up to another wall, but thought I read somewhere that they had to be at least a metre away from a corner. This was giving me difficulties on walls with chimney breasts etc, so am quite pleased to hear I have made this up!

Thanks everyone for your help.

By the way, I'm over weight, and the wife is pregnant, so 450mm is sounding better all the time!!

JohnD said:
However now that all new work, and a lot of renovation, is done at the new heights, people are coming to get used to it, and will look at your low sockets and think they look weird. They will also think the electrics are due for renewal as they must be quite old.
Otoh i'd take a mixture of heights in the same room as meaning someone weired had been working on the electrics.

Plus putting sockets higher up is far more work than putting them in just above skirting level.

ricicle said:
JohnD said:

How many of these attributes are applicable to you MrD ;)

I'm not pregnant :LOL:

The distance from the corner of a room comes from BS8300 which requires a minimum distance of 350mm from the corner to outlets, switches or controls. Hower Approved Document M doesn't seem to mention this.

TeesdaleSpark said:
The distance from the corner of a room comes from BS8300 which requires a minimum distance of 350mm from the corner to outlets, switches or controls. Hower Approved Document M doesn't seem to mention this.

It's in Approved Document M, 4.30, paragraph G.

However, Approved Document M also says they can't be any lower than 400mm, not 450mm.

I'm having this work inspected by my local council, so want to make sure it's right. Is it best to call them to see what they want?

Thanks everyone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back