Depth for incoming mains cable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About to pour foundation footings, and would like to install a duct for the mains cable for a meter move at a later date.

Spoke to my supplier (Scottish Power) who said they would do a resin joint outside my property and pull in the longer cable to the new location.

In my haste I forgot to ask how deep the duct entry needed to be below finished ground level, any ideas anyone?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
best to phone back..

deep enough to not be liable to damage when digging the garden etc..

no specific depth given in the regs, but most people quote 600mm..

duct shoud finish above ground inside the property obviously..

LV/MV upto 415V
Footpaths/Driveways, etc 450mm
Across Roads--------------600mm
Along Roads---------------600mm
Agricultural----------------910mm

HV upto 11KV
Footpaths/Driveways, etc 600mm
Across Roads--------------700mm
Along Roads---------------700mm

EHV upto 132KV
Footpaths/Driveways, etc 775mm
Across Roads--------------775mm
Along Roads---------------775mm

Was posted on another forum by an Ex-DNO (think actually SP) guy (cheers sine :) )

recommendation is to dig 500mm is to cover cable thickness etc (measurements are to top of cable).

Backfill 100mm and put warning tape in (sometimes recommended to use sand to serve as an additonal warning if tape missed, if using sand (and you have to in rough soil), dig deeper and fill back upto 500mm before putting cable in to surround it with sand)

As usual probably best ask your DNO tho

Sponsored Links
Or just lay it under the paving stones in the bedding sand like they did when my estate was built... :rolleyes:

Thanks all, will speak to supplier on Mon for confirmation.

We've just had this done ourselves. We had to dig to 600mm to allow for the 150mm rigiduct that our suppiler specified which we got from Jewsons.

Good luck with the digging!!

Well I spoke to my supplier, suprisingly there is no min depth and it can even be surface mounted.

Only spec was the ducting has to be Black in colour and they usualy spec 32mm in size.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back