Does not fire, produces loud bang

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have an Ariston 27 ACO RFFI and it was installed into the house I have purchased. However, I do not have any of the corgi details, but what happens is this.

On demand for HW or CH, the boiler comes on I can see the LCD displaying appropriate temp reading etc. but when it should ignite, the boiler gives a mighty bang. It does not ignite the burners and the boiler remains in this loop until switched off. It just started happening out of the blue one minute it was ok the next this.

I have checked pressure, remains unchanged at about 1.5 bar.

Any help would be gratefully received.

thanks.

Sponsored Links
Explosive ignition :eek: .

Needs to be checked out by a CORGI engineer urgently.

It sounds as if there could be a serious installation error!

As advised you should get a boiler engineer to inspect it asap and it should not be used until then as it could cause considerable damage or even injury if the casing fails to contain the explosion.

Tony

Thanks all for replying. I have managed to get a Ariston authorised eng. so I will update you.

Do you think this is definitely explosive ignition? -if so, I have been reading previous posts and they suggest incorrect mix of gases. Just not sure what to tell the eng. that comes tomorrow, so he can bring the correct eqp.? -also, does anyone know if doing a flu sweep will help to see the gas's mix?

Could they just decommission the boiler?

-Eekk.

Sponsored Links
If you called an Ariston authorised engineer he should turn up with all the correct kit to work on the boiler. Best not to tell him what you think it is, just tell him the symptoms and let him sort it - after all, thats what you are paying him for!

Hi all, the boiler has been fitted for over 2 years. It was working ok when we moved in. this has happened recently.

As far as RGI? -Sorry I am assuming this means Registered Gas installer and I found the manual, but the bit that lists the corgi details was a tear off, that has been removed, so I do not have those details.

Hope that the guy due in today can get it working again!!

Ok All repaired.

The Guy turned up yesterday and fitted a new ignitor unit and adjusted the gas mix. this costs £141.00 but the boiler is absolutely fine again.

Thanks.

We would have probably charged rather less at £84 plus £30 at a guess for the part.

But at least its working now!

Its pretty rare for the igniter to fail after two years. They either fail in the first few days or go on for the life of the boiler of 10-15 years.

Tony

Funnily enough our Ariston Aco has just started doing this today too, although it does generally light after a few sparks now and then it will give a nice bang so have switched it off.

It's about 20 months old so phoned Ariston who claimed there was no 5 year guarantee showing up on their system because they hadn't received the parts that need to be posted off to them when it was serviced, despite the fact we sent them recorded delivery (fortunately we used their approved agent for installation & service so they called them and the guarantee issue has been sorted). Wonder if the part went missing in the post of it they are trying to pull a fast one.

Bendo said:
Funnily enough our Ariston Aco has just started doing this today too, although it does generally light after a few sparks now and then it will give a nice bang so have switched it off.

It's about 20 months old so phoned Ariston who claimed there was no 5 year guarantee showing up on their system because they hadn't received the parts that need to be posted off to them when it was serviced, despite the fact we sent them recorded delivery (fortunately we used their approved agent for installation & service so they called them and the guarantee issue has been sorted). Wonder if the part went missing in the post of it they are trying to pull a fast one.

That demonstrates the advantage of using a CORGI registered person who is accredited by the boiler manufacturer!

I am sure that it was not an intentional attempt to pretend you did not have a warranty. Some companies are a little slow to input cards returned to them and even worse some use agencies or temps who might put a few in the bin to ease their work load!

Tony

Most of the Germans do not expect tickets to be posted each year.

In my view this is a sharp practice by Ariston, as they know that a significant proportion of customers will lose the cards in the 5 year period and thus their access to warranty support.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back