New Unbranded Electric Hob (HC60), Wiring question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good day to you all.
I have bought a new electric hob(ceramic) to replace my old electric hob(awful).
I bought the ceramic from a UK DIY store, B&Q(I apologise) and it is unbranded with very poor instructions.

My power into the old hob was 4 wires, White, Brown, blue, Black and of course the Earth which matched the hobs internal wires perfectly.

My new hob again has a 4 way terminal and an earthing post but the colouring has thrown me a bit.
The first 3 terminals must be Positive, and they have those U shaped links in them, the 4th terminal must be Neutral as it has many Blue wires coming out of the back.

My question is if I use my brown as live in terminal 1, which will in turn feed 2 and 3 through the U links, what do I do with my Black and White wires remaining?

Any help most appreciated. You will help me get my beans on toast sorted..!!!

If it helps, here is an attempt at a line diagram;

InternalTerminal 1 / Term2 / Term3 / Term4
white&Brown / brown / brown / many blue

Terminal 1 / Term2 / Term3 / Term4
U link / Ulink / Ulink / Free
External

I have White, Brown, Blue, Black to play with.

Thanks
Mark

Sponsored Links
How many phases is your incomming supply?

Are you able to take a pic of the meter and distribution board area?

From the colouring it sounds like you have three phases, in which case the answer involves removing the links, but while this is the norm on the continent, its a bit rare in the UK, so we need more detail

perhaps the cable came with the old hob and two wires are connected together at the wall.

You could do a lot worse than contact the supplier.

Sponsored Links
That is a good idea about the matching cable, it could well have been supplied with the origianl hob as this is a relatively new build flat(3 years).

I shall remove the oven tonight and check the cables and phases etc. etc.

Thanks, but I may be asking you for more help tomorrow ;)

Mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back