Puma 100 Flame Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

Like many people, I have a dodgy Potterton Puma 100. The issue I have is this:

When I turn on the hot tap and there is a demand for HW at the Puma, sometimes the burner will not ignite, I can just hear loads of clicking and then the pilot will be extinguished due to the burner not igniting. Other times the burner will rise and fall and explosively re-ignite only to appear to 'blow istelf out' along withe pilot flame. (Usually during normal function the switch on the PCB that causes this clicking will click once and then you have ignition of the burner),

Additionally, when I set the CH to constant, the burner WILL ignite, but the flame height will rise and fall and keep going out, then igniting, then going out, then igniting...in an explosive sounding cycle as the gas builds up before igniting each time, concluding in the burner blowing itself and the pilot flame out. If I put the CH temp up to MAX it usually stays on for an hour maybe, but even then eventually it will extinguish the pilot and the pump will stay running.

As an aside, the short, angled silver pipe leading to the PRV is always quite warm (and always has been, but I don't know if this has owt to do with it, I'm reckoning not).

Bloody thing! :mad:

Any advice you have will be very greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Gaz

Sponsored Links
There comes a time when gas engineers will run a mile from old combi,s has you have to understand things need to be renewed,

But yea get some folk thinking that they last forever and expect the job done for under £50 get a loan and a new boiler i would not touch a puma

I wish my landlord would replace it! The gas engineer he uses is very good, but my landord is too stingy to replace it so just keeps getting things fixed on it as they fail.

PCB's on these old dogs are notorious! Usually dry joints and they can cause just the problem you are describing.

Stan

Sponsored Links
I would expect that kind of description to be a hydraulic problem.

However, as you are a tenant just get your landlord to call a competent boiler engineer. They are quite repairable boilers.

I sorted one out today, actually quite a simple fault! Boiler giving no CH and going to lockout after about 30 minutes. Its working ok now but I may change a couple of small parts next week.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back