DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Fire rated glass (Pyro & wired) help please

Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
artywood

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:24 am Reply with quote

Hi all
I am doing a loft conversion on my house for the past year and we have glass doors down stairs which the structural engineer said the doors will pass but I will need to install fire retardant glass. He said there are two types of glass I can use which are Pyro glass or wired glass. I don’t want to put the wired glass in these doors as this will look wrong in our house. So I would like to know if anyone knows where I can purchase this Pyro glass. Also I would also appreciate it if anyone could tell me if there is any other type of glass you can use as I have heard this Pyro glass is very expensive. If anyone known the price of this glass also then I would appreciate this as I require 12 one foot square peaces.

Any help give will be appreciated.
 Alert Moderators
Moderator 5
Moderator Comment
Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:57 am    Comment:

Hello and welcome to the forums.

Please have a lok at http://www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19448
including 1a

I have removed your duplicate post.

Rupert

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
freddymercurystwin

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:10 pm Reply with quote

Theres 2 or 3 manufacturers out there maing fire resistant clear glass, Pyrostop is from Pilkington which I would think most glass suppliers would be able to get in for you, I doubt very much if any of them will stock it as its roughly £1000/m2. Have a look at linky and note detail on page 7: http://www.pilkington.com/resources/013168firerangebrochureds.pdf
 Alert Moderators
JohnD

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:32 pm Reply with quote

The nasty looking glass is Wired Glass which has the stuff like galvanised chicken wire fencing in it.

A better one is Georgian Wired which has fine silver wire in small welded squares in it. It is a flat plate glass usually sold in 6mm and does not look so bad. Depending on the light and distance, the fine mesh is not so visually intrusive. It is also available in Georgian Wired Obscure which has a rough surface on one side.
 Alert Moderators
artywood

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:28 am Reply with quote

Hi freddymercurystwin & JohnD thanks for you help in this matter. icon_smile.gif
freddymercurystwin I had not envisaged that this Pyro glass would cost anything like £1000/m2. icon_rolleyes.gif

Would you or anyone out there know any alternative from Pyro or Georgian Wired that I could use or is this my only options?

Thanks again
 Alert Moderators
freddymercurystwin

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:41 am Reply with quote

Hmm, Spons (price guide book 2005) (so add say 15% to these figures for inflation) quotes a Pyrostop window 300X400mm fitted in hardwood frame inc seals as about £113, that’s 15mm thick to give an hours protection. For ½ hours protection glass is Pyran 6.5mm (I think) works out about £49 for same size. These are installed prices and subject to VAT. It would be a bit cheaper if you could reconfigure the glazing to have fewer glazing units which were all bigger. Do you need 1 hour or ½ hour? There’s not much choice if you want glazing free of wire, only another manufacturer although I imagine they’ll all be much the same. Phone up a few local glass suppliers for the most realistic price though and price for glass only.
 Alert Moderators
dlg2907

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:29 pm Reply with quote

c 7 30 is cheaper than pilkington products clear laminate no wires 30 mins fire or c 11 60 1 hr and 11mm thick c 7 30 7mm thick about 300 sk mter
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Windows and Doors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: