Deaf doorbell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just removed a \\\'deaf doorbell\\\' which dims the lights when pressed. I am now left with 2 core and 3 core wires with earths and am not sure how to connect these up to restore the lights both up and downstairs. Please can anyone help???

Sponsored Links
you cant wire mains to a door bell (ok shouln't) so these wires must have connected to something. what?

Can you post a photo of the units you removed ? Or post any details of maker type etc etc.

Are the up-stairs and down-stairs light on the same fuse / MCB

Is there a junction box close to the consumer unit with the three core cable from the unit going to it. A twin and earth into the consumer unti and one of more twin and earths going into the house.?

If it is the type I have seen then a removal of the three core and a change of one wire in that junction box is all that is needed.

Sponsored Links
I ran across one of these recently, that had been installed by the RNID.

It was basically an electronic switch that was wired between the lighting circuits and the mcbs.

What you will probably need to do is identify which circuit/circuits are feeding the lighting circuit and then connect those directly to the mcb. That will likely be the 2 core cables - the 3 core is likely to be related to the switch and can probably be ignored.

The key is to identify the cables that feed the lights..

Gavin

EDIT: Bah, too slow :)

years ago, some one made a light to flash when the phone rang for deaf people, it never went very far. (think about it)

I'd be interested to see a photo of the Consumer Unit and whatever's round it. I'm expecting some kind of Contactor that could be removed and bridged.

I have a deaf relation and would be interested in the thing you've got.

breezer said:
years ago, some one made a light to flash when the phone rang for deaf people, it never went very far. (think about it)

Also used for those who use the text phone systems. But yes I hear what you are saying about ordinary phones....

bernardgreen said:
But yes I hear what you are saying about ordinary phones....

I don't. Oh, hang on, I've got my HA's out again....

breezer said:

Reminds me of the "Not The Nine O'clock News" sketch :LOL:

But how do they know if there's someone at the door in the day time, or do they have the lights on all the time - must be an expensive option.
Surely a wireless system connected to a vibrating allert would be better?

aparently ( i dont know 100%) but in the day the lights come on

I recall the one system I saw put a 5 amp diode in series with the lighting when the door bell was pressed. This dimmed all the lights.

There was a "half live" ( half wave via another diode) that was energised when the bell was pressed. This "half live" went to light switches in some rooms. These switch were two way. ON put the common (switched live to the lamp) to the normal live and OFF put the common to the bell operated "half live".

Very "Heath Robinson" as I recall but it worked. Only problem was the 5 amp diode needed replacing by a 10 amp.

FatGit said:
But how do they know if there's someone at the door in the day time, or do they have the lights on all the time - must be an expensive option.

The one I saw worked purely as a switch in the lighting circuits. So the lights had to be turned on during the day, and the unit set to DAY mode. Then the lights were normally off, but flashed when the doorbell was pressed. There was also a NIGHT mode on the unit, which I didn't investigate, but I suspect it worked the other way round.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back