Halstead Boiler cutting out - pressure too high

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help me with this as I'm not sure why my boiler is playing up??? Its a Halstead Finest.

The pressure when its not on is sitting at about just under 3bar and when it fires up for either HW or CH then it only takes a mo and the safety cut out activates as it over pressurises.

Is there a way that I can lower the pressure or vent it off in some way to get the pressure down so it stops doing this?

Cheers, T.

Sponsored Links
Thats about as far as my plumbing ability stretches, I've done all the rads in the house and they are all now dribbling water as soon as I turn the rad key, so dont think thats it?

No, thats not what breezer meant! He meant use the air bleed to drain off some water to reduce the pressure in the system! A quicker way would be to open a drain off somewhere with a small tray under it to release some water.

Why has it over pressurised in the first place? Is your filling loop closed fully?

Sponsored Links
I think so, I cant hear it filling which I assume I would so I'll get a bucket and drain a rad and see what happens!

if it was letting by very slightly you may not hear it filling.

Over-pressure does not switch your boiler off!
SO you have two problems.

Pressure: Your filling loop is probably left open. It a bit hard to reach but make sure the tap is across the pipe it's on not in line. If you let water out of a bleed point on a rad, a litre or so should see the pressure come down.

Cutout: may be due to lack of circulation - pump not working. How long does the boler take to cut out from cold?

Oh. and is there water dribbling out of the pipe whch goes through the wall?

i did mean as gas4you said, i have done it on mine, since the drain valve is under the floor, and last time i did that, i didnt do it do it up enough, and i found it a pain to get to, having to hang upside down to get at it, hence bleed the rad.

why not remove the fill pipe, that way it cant over fill

alajwinter said:
Yep it is slightly dripping from pipe on the outside of the house.

In that case the PRV will probably need replacing. And depending on how long its been sitting at 3 bar for, the expansion vessel will also need recharging.

I also agree that you may have a seperate fault causing the OH stat to trip.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back