expansion vessel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
have a glowworm compact combi boiler(approx. 5yo).... constantly losing pressure ... topping up every day.... have been advised probable pressure release valve but more likely expansion vessel problem.... Can i check it . If so how do i go about it and are there any special tools required... I am quite handy and dont mind complex jobs.

Sponsored Links
All you need regards to access and pressure will be in the manufacturer's instructions. When you get to the car tyre type valve on the expansion vessel and remove the cap if any water comes out you need a replacement the diaphragm will be split. It may just require charging which is just a case of pumping it back up to the stated pressure with a normal footpump. If your pressure relief has blown and still dripping even slightly it will need replacement.

i am not a heating engineer, but basically expansion vessel is a ballon in a tin, it has a car tyre valve on it, press it if water comes out its had it, if not treat as a tyre, but dont blow it up to 28psi, it only goes to a couple of psi, try a search on this froum for expansion vessel

ollski said:
All you need regards to access and pressure will be in the manufacturer's instructions. When you get to the car tyre type valve on the expansion vessel and remove the cap if any water comes out you need a replacement the diaphragm will be split. It may just require charging which is just a case of pumping it back up to the stated pressure with a normal footpump. If your pressure relief has blown and still dripping even slightly it will need replacement.

Just to clarify if pipe outside is dripping is it more likely to be pressure relief valve.... or is order of checking vessel first then prv second?..... thank you for your prompt responses....
Are these components expensive to replace?

Sponsored Links
If your pipe is dripping outside you will need a new pressure relief valve because when they blow they get grit and muck on the seating and then won't seal so your pressure will constantly drop due to the leak.
You will need to check your expansion vessel as this is half air and half water, if the diaphragm has split it will be all water therefore leaving nowhere for your hot water to expand into.....down goes the cold system pressure.....fill it up.......up goes your hot pressure....pop goes your PRV.....return to beginning.
What is the system pressure when your system is stone cold compared to when it is working?, if it's a big difference like 2 bar you will need a new expansion vessel.

ollski said:
If your pipe is dripping outside you will need a new pressure relief valve because when they blow they get grit and muck on the seating and then won't seal so your pressure will constantly drop due to the leak.
You will need to check your expansion vessel as this is half air and half water, if the diaphragm has split it will be all water therefore leaving nowhere for your hot water to expand into.....down goes the cold system pressure.....fill it up.......up goes your hot pressure....pop goes your PRV.....return to beginning.
What is the system pressure when your system is stone cold compared to when it is working?, if it's a big difference like 2 bar you will need a new expansion vessel.

pressure is 0 in morning... have to fill to 0.5 bar to fire up boiler... Central heating starts works goes up to approx 2 bar..... when switched off goes down to 0 bar overnight...

.........fill to 0.5 bar to fire up boiler... Central heating starts works goes up to approx 2 bar.........

New expansion vessel, (OR the existing one is (and always was) too small).

I am in the same situation, (topping up system every day!!) the expansion vessell is fairly inaccesable at the back! I heard that you can fit on any where on the system is this true??

Does your pressure rise excessively, say up to 3 bar, when the heating is on, or does it just drop steadily to 0?

I have similar problem too, as ollski suggested, likely problem is with the expansion vessel. I have a glow worm combi boiler 24ci. On switching on the central heating, the pressure bar rises up to 4.0, and on switching off it loses pressure down to 0, and I have to top up the pressure back again to 1 to 1.5. But water only heating does not affect the pressure.

Does anyone know how much it will cost to replace the expansion vessel? either DIY or getting an expert boilerman in?

Eggy, you may be better starting a new topic..This is an old one, that you are now hi_jacking

Eggy it may not be the exp. vess the flei tube to the boiler can get blocked causing the same symptom as a faulty exp. vess You may need to change the prv as they get muck on the seating when they lift and can letby especially if you keep refilling the syst. with un traeted water

Eggy it may not be the exp. vess the flei tube to the boiler can get blocked causing the same symptom as a faulty exp. vess You may need to change the prv as they get muck on the seating when they lift and can letby especially if you keep refilling the syst. with un traeted water

Hi, the flexible braided pipe is buried deep behind the pump. How do you access it (to clean it - mine is either blocked or bent flat).

Much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back