advice for novice, building 2 entrance piers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to build 2 entrance piers, appx 4'6"' high, and hang a gate from them. I am planning to build in brick, each pier being 22"x22" (i.e. 2 and a half standard bricks wide). I will use reinforcing bars to give added support.

I am new to this, so these might sound like silly questions:
1) Assuming virgin ground, how deep and wide would you advise the foundations to be, bearing in mind that I will be adding concrete in each centre column to set the reinforcing bar. I don't mind going too deep, to be on the safe side?
2) Do I just pour the concrete in to the hollow directly once the piers are formed, or does it cause any problems if the concrete comes in contact with the inner brick face?
3) How many courses up would you usually put the DPC? I am thinking 2-3 above the footings, is that about right?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I would suggest you reconsider inserting a dpc , maybe use engineering bricks for a similar result

When casting the foundations, it is a good idea to bridge the two holes together with a concrete sill or threshhold ( preferably reinforced). This maintains the alignment of the two piers together, and prevents them leaning (the weight of a gate, over time, tends to pull over the hinge side)

the threshold does not need to be as deep (thick) as the pits under the piers. It looks better if it is the same width.

lose the dpc. ;)

when dealing with heavy gates, we have concreted in a steel girder, welded extended hinges to the girder then clad the steel in brick.

this is the only successful way to hang heavy gates to masonry.

Sponsored Links
noseall is right ,the dpc will make your piers weak,use metalposts like he said,hes nearly as clued up as jonny7913 :)

ok thanks everyone for the info on the dpc and reinforcing - thanks also for the idea of bridging the two footings together which would help with stability. Can someone give me ballpark footing depths for the 4 foot piers ? Are we talking 375mm-450mm deep, does that sound right?

Yes that sounds about right. Just make sure the ground is nice and firm, if it's soft go a bit deeper.

I am planning to centre fill the piers with some box iron for support and then infill with concrete. Does anyone know if I should use some sort of waterproof sealant on the inner face of the brick piers once I fill them with concrete. If so, bearing in mind the inner brick face is smooth, whats the best type of sealant to use for this. Anyone have any suggestions?

i shouldn't bother with a sealant, as it will reduce the bonding capacity of the concrete infill against the inside of the bricks.

if you're worried about the steel rusting then paint it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back