Storage Heaters Not Working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I hope someone can offer some advice :confused: :

At the weekend, some circuits in the house tripped, namely the downstairs sockets. Yesterday it was a bit cold up here and we put the storage heaters on overnight. We had previously turned them off (as is the norm for the summer months) but because of the poor weather we turned a couple of them on in the evening and went to bed...expecting them to be warm in the morning. Wrong! They were stone cold. I checked out the electric cupboard and saw that everything looked out.

I think the box is called a consumer unit (the make is Hager) and it has a main switch for circuits 1-6 (i.e. the storage heaters) and another identical one for circuits 7-12 (the upstairs bedrooms panel heaters and bathroom fan heater). Circuits 7-12 are working fine. I know this because everything connected to them works and when they're on, the electicity meter (we have two) is working. Circuits 1-6 are dead as a dodo. Last night after midnight, when all the things driven from circuits 7-12 were turned off and storage heaters should have been doing their thing, nothing happened and the electric meter was at a standstill.

:idea: My preliminary thoughts are that a fuse has gone in the unit, probably the one in the main switch for circuits 1-6. This switch is like a double fuse (it's twice the size of the other ones) and has Hager 100A on it.

:?: Could someone give an opinion on the above, and how to correct it. I know that sounds obvious, but I just can't see how to get the main switch fuse out (if tha's what I need to do). Everything else in the house is working fine.

Thanks for taking the time to read what is a long post.

Sponsored Links
no no no. the main switch is just that. It has no fuse or MCB in it. Its just a switch and offers no protection whatsoever.

If no storage heaters work i suspect a fault with the supplier's side - the meter and contactor / time switch. A picture of the fuse box / consumer unit and meter area would be nice, help us figure out what sort of system you have, there are many ways of doing eco7.

It sounds to me like the off peak supply has failed.

Do you have a digital camera which you could take a photo of the consumer units / meters / mains supply head?

Hi,
As Crafty says a pic would help as eco7 is difficult to test .
You say everything was fine before the heaters were left off for a period of time, and now although all the circuit breakers stay on and you have no heat ???

Maybe a thermostat somewhere ???

Ta.
Ed.

Sponsored Links
Have you just turned off the 100A DP isolator in the left hand side of the CU, or was it always off?

What does the MCB in the right of the CU do? (the switched off one?)

RF Lighting said:
Have you just turned off the 100A DP isolator in the left hand side of the CU, or was it always off?

Thats what I was thinking :LOL:

The one to the right was used for a living room fire previously, but it is no longer there so is constantly off. The main switch was turned off yesterday because I thought that was the best thing to do once I discovered and could not rectify the problem.

Hi,

There appears to be a 'main switch' off on the left hand side. ?

You may be lucky.
Or there may a fault ? :eek:

Any chance of a close up of the teleswitch?

Are the local isolators switched on at each heater? and the setting knobs on the top of the heater turned up?

Sorry this is me being thick....

But why have you a single rate meter if you have E7?

Or is this a different DNO's do different things again? :confused:

And what is the other meter at the bottom for?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back