help me wire my cooker i'm starving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have purchased an indesit 4 ceramic hob cooker,it says it requires a min H05RR-F SECTION 3X4MM2,I went along to b&q they sold me a twin&earth grey 10mm2 2metrs cable,but i was then toldit would go on fire,is this cable safe. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
depends how close the cooker is going to get to the cable but I'd say no without knowing all the details.

Is it a built in jobby?

its just a normal standalone cooker,with 4 hobs and an oven,the cooker will be right next to the box on the wall,it will only need about half a meter,i was going to cut half a meter off and wire the 10mm up between the cooker and box on the wall.any ideas :?:

use the rest of it to give you enough slack to pull out the cooker and clean behind it witthout wrenching the cable out of the wall.

Sponsored Links
so does that mean the cable is ok? i will leave some spare,so all i do is connect it from the black box on the cooker to the small box on the wall?is that right-it wont blow up will it?

the manufactueres have advised a rubber flexible cord of 4mm conductors, yours is not very flexible but the cores are more than twice the size of the recomendations so are certainly not going to overheat. You need Green&Yellow sheathing for the earth wire which you will find is bare copper.

Lots of people use PVC T&E and I;m not aware of any reason why you shouldn't. Run it with wide curves not tight bends.

This translates the cable code:

HAR_Wire_coding-ICL.gif

That's funny, I'm sure Mrs Secure commented that you were usually much quicker than me ;)

i dont know i dont understand that diagram,i dont thinkit has green and white sheathing,does that mean i cant use it...and i before you ask i aint blonde

No, I mean you can buy a metre of G&Y sheathing for about 50p, which you slide over the exposed copper earth wire in your cable, so it can't accidentally touch any other terminals.

When you strip off the outer sheathing you will find one brown (phase or "live") one blue (neutral) and one bare copper (earth) wire inside it.

The chart tells you that the "R" in your cable spec mean Rubber, and the "F" means fine copper strands.

You have been given PVC insulated and insulated cable, with quite thick copper strands, so it is not very flexible but will be OK.

oh brilliant,i get what your saying now,thanks very much i will go back to b&q tomorrow and get some.what a life,this cooker has caused me so many problems.watch this space to find out the outcome tomorrow.lol

JohnD said:
That's funny, I'm sure Mrs Secure commented that you were usually much quicker than me ;)

I didn't know you & she had met!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back