Squashed/misshaped copper pipes (Fitting mixer shower)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

This is my first post, and I'm a total newcomer to plumbing. I recently purchased a new shower, its the mixer type. We have an existing mixer shower installed, which I have now removed. I'm now left with two 1 inch copper pipes (15mm) sticking out of our bathroom wall. The problem I have is the pipes are no longer 'round', either through my removing the old shower or maybe when it was installed they got squashed, either way my new shower will no not fit on. Is there a tool or technique I can use to reshape the end of the pipes? As mentioned, the pipes are about an inch long each, and go straight into the tiled area of the bath, I do have some room to move the pipes from side to side, up and down, the left (Hot??) can also be pushed back into the wall a short distance.

Any ideas/advice on how to 'fix' this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Rog

Sponsored Links
Never ever reshape them short of a miriacle you gonny have to renew pipes .
How you do this without seeing problem am not too sure .
If wall is tiled and no movement to push pipes back into wall you got to either remove tiles for access "bet you dont have or cant get replacements " Or you can come through from other side .Is there a plasterboard wall on other side? If there is best bet is acess through from there and replace pipes ,probably your cheapest option.
Let us know how you get on.

I'm no plumber so have no idea if this would work but if you were to get some wooden dowel of the same diameter as the internal diameter of the 15mm pipe then lathe/cut a taper onto the end of it for the first 10mm or so could you gently ease that into the end of the pipes to reshape them?

[stands back and prepares to be shot down in flames by the actual plumbers] :D

That is a dreadful problem - how the hell did you manage to do it?

If you offer an olive up and then very carefully try and straighten the ends using some long nose pliers it might just work. It is very doubtful that the pipes are damaged or out of true further down - unless of course you removed the old shower with a hammer.

I would be inclined to spend hours on trying to do this, as the alternatives are too horrendous to contemplate.

Best of luck!

Sponsored Links
Do it properly and change the section of damaged pipes. :idea:

You will be able to sleep and will only do the job once. ;)

If you can get a blowtorch on the ends of the pipes without damaging the surrounding area then you can heat the pipes up to cherry red, this will soften the copper and should allow you to do as already suggested and use something tapered and round to get the pipes back to shape. If you use copper olives as well you should be alright. This would take a little bit of skill so if you don't feel up to it you may be best getting someone to do it for you.

Cheers for all the replies guys, its certainly given me something to think about, I'll initially try to reshape the pipes in some way, last option is to start removing tiles...

thanks again

Rog

sooey said:
.....you can heat the pipes up to cherry red, ........

.......Melting the solder or pushfit etc elbow that you can't see just inside the wall as you do it :eek:

Is there a tool or technique I can use to reshape the end of the pipes?

I use a 15mm compression fitting to push over the mangled ends, or a nut off the compression fitting and gently spin that over the pipe.

find a local fridge/air con engineer and borrow his pipe expander tool.
b/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back