open.
If the Tamper LED
remains lit, the
control panel is
faulty.
If the Tamper LED
goes out the
battery is faulty

Copied this from the TS400 installation manual. Sorry joe incidentally the ts 400 was not what i'd call a simple panel

Sponsored Links
joe-90 said:
lvsystems said:
With the battery removed and not in engineers mode the panel will flag a fault. The only way round this is to place resistors across the battery terminals to fool the panel into thinking it has a load. Incidentally bongos I have the user guide for this panel in PDF format should you require it

We are talking about a very simple panel. It never had that degree of function. You may get a 'BF' from an up market panel - but it won't show a tamper fault so yet again it would indicate that the battery wasn't at fault.

granted, i will concede on that point, BUT your post

joe-90 said:
Rubbish. Don't you remove the battery to test it during an annual service? Does the panel 'complain'?(whatever that means)

implied any panel

Ivs. While you've got your manual handy go to the top of the flow chart. It says:

Enter 4 digit engineer code and press 3 to select Walk Test.

This isn't the same as running the panel without a battery. You are only quoting a test function which is totally different.

The alarm will set and run without a battery. It will be prone to spurious voltage spikes but other than that it will run quite happily.

No I was quoting form the fault fiding flow chart actually where it clearly states the tamper light will be on if the battery is removed or faulty. Page 21 of the installation manual entitled fault finding chart 2 - system does not set

LV systems by the way

Sponsored Links
It's page 19 actually and the flow chart starts with:

"Enter 4 digit engineer code and press 3 to select walk test mode"

It's just underneath "System will not set".

The panel WILL run without a battery. How many have you installed?

i dont have the engineers manual for a ts400 so i believe ivy-systems
joe-90 your post did as i sid imply your comment meant all panels.

but in either case although rare a panel is not a lot of use without a standby battery. how many times have you seen a "temp job" that is still there years later (no matter what the temp job is) so telling the op to run it without a battery is not good.

lets not argue over this one, since we are supposed to be helping

I have the manual in front of me. I am also familiar with installing and servicing the panel (was rubbish too). Feel free to believe who you like mate - maybe it suits your argument.

Joe -90 I don't want to get involved in an arguement. As it happens I have not installed any ts400's I have installed countless other systems though. I am only going on the information I have which is the TS400/410 installation manual and as I said I have a listing on page 21 for fault finding should the system not set. I never doubted it would run without a battery my point is that the tamper light will be on as per mnfrs instructions.

If you want to e-mail me privately I will be more than happy to send you a copy of this manual.

As for arguing that's the last thing I want I joined the forum purely to help people who require it I will only comment on posts where I believe I can privide a genuine service.

no, dont take it the wrong way, i dont have a engineers manual, i also know the ts400 is a simple panel, also as you mentioned a lot of very old panels would not know if they had a battery or not, but my point in this case is you should not encourage the OP to have an alarm with no standby battery

By the way, Breezer. If you really are a service engineer then you will come across weekly a battery that has gone 'open circuit', and as far as the panel is concerned, not even there. There is no current held in the battery and it passes no voltage. It is just a lump of inert dead weight. So why is it that the alarm functions under those circumstances? Like I said before, the alarm system will operate quite happily without a battery for test purposes.[/i]

i never said i was a service engineer, i agree with your comment but as i also just posted you should not encourage the use of an alarm with no standby battery

lvsystems said:
Joe -90 I don't want to get involved in an arguement. As it happens I have not installed any ts400's I have installed countless other systems though. I am only going on the information I have which is the TS400/410 installation manual and as I said I have a listing on page 21 for fault finding should the system not set. I never doubted it would run without a battery my point is that the tamper light will be on as per mnfrs instructions.

If you want to e-mail me privately I will be more than happy to send you a copy of this manual.

As for arguing that's the last thing I want I joined the forum purely to help people who require it I will only comment on posts where I believe I can privide a genuine service.

I already have a copy in front of me - I used to install them around 12 years ago. The flow chart is on page 19 and is for a *test function* using the engineer code and walk test mode.

Do me a favour and copy what it says on the FIRST box of the flow chart.

You are wrong and you know it. Be big enough to admit it.

breezer said:
i never said i was a service engineer, i agree with your comment but as i also just posted you should not encourage the use of an alarm with no standby battery

For test and diagnosis it is fine. Do you know WHY you shouldn't run an alarm without one?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back