New socket from light switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
is it possible to run a new double socket from light switch. due to location of new socket I\\\'m having trouble joining up to existing socket and think only option would be to run it fromn light switch. Is this possible or big no/no. Thanks

Sponsored Links
not necesarily breezer.. with the more commonly used way of putting live feeds to switches nowadays it's entirely possible... depending on his wiring type..

the reason it's a HUGE no no... is that the cable and fuse supplying lighting is simply not big enough for using as a power circuit..

a double socket is capable of drawing 26A, whereas your lighting circuit probably has 1mm cable, which can take only 11A, and a 6A or 10A fuse / breaker..

Sponsored Links
i relaise the point (supply to switch then light, but if you say this he may go ahead anyway- hence no it wont work

Surely it depends on what he wants the power for? If it is just for a TV amp then, if he a neutral at the switch he could fit a FCU or a round pin socket and it wouldn't be unsafe??

ARRGGGHHHH!!!

STOP telling people it's fine to put sockets onto lighting circuits.... it's not..

even with a 3A fuse in a spur, you're then limiting the rest of the circuit to 3A on a 6A breaker..

a single socket can draw 13A.. even if you fit it with a 3A fuse in a FCU, at some point some idiot will change the fuse to a 13A so they can plug in a heater or a drill or a train set or any other multitude of items..

it's not at all hard to find a power circuit to spur off.. most houses will have a way to get cables into the loft ( via an airing cupboard etc.. )

Before you ask, yes it is safe to have a plug socket and a light switch on the same circuit. So don’t worry about wiring a socket from a light switch. If it’s more convenient that wiring directly from the breaker box, go ahead and do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Before you ask, yes it is safe to have a plug socket and a light switch on the same circuit. So don’t worry about wiring a socket from a light switch. If it’s more convenient that wiring directly from the breaker box, go ahead and do it.

1) This post is 15 years old now, chances are hes sorted or given up!
2) Unless the socket is for a specific low current need, then no, general purpose sockets should not be on light circuits (winston goes even further)
3) The light switch likely won't have a neutral at it (the picture on the poorly written article you link to[your own site?] shows a switch with no neutral present)
4) The lighting cirucit may not be on RCD, and that was almost certainly the case when question was asked in '07.
5) No need to go back to the board, no one is suggesting that, on the existing sockets cirucit will be fine

1) This post is 15 years old now, chances are hes sorted or given up!
2) Unless the socket is for a specific low current need, then no, general purpose sockets should not be on light circuits (winston goes even further)
3) The light switch likely won't have a neutral at it (the picture on the poorly written article you link to[your own site?] shows a switch with no neutral present)
4) The lighting cirucit may not be on RCD, and that was almost certainly the case when question was asked in '07.
5) No need to go back to the board, no one is suggesting that, on the existing sockets cirucit will be fine

I am aware he likely to be sorted, I was looking the information up for some work I need to so myself then saw this conflicts with some other information I have researched. The answer does have variables though as I was looking to do it from a 3 way switch which I have learned cannot be done.
I have one other socket in my house which I wired from a light switch years ago for USB use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back