Waterproof 2nd Level Tile Flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently purchased a small commercial building with tile on most of the second floor. The tile is over concrete slab. During the cleanup process we noticed that water was leaking through and slowly dripping onto the first floor. It is hard to determine just where the leaks are as the water slowly trickles downstairs, it takes awhile it seems. I think water just slowly seaps through either the grout or the tile itself. Is there anything I can do to waterproof the tile upstairs, aside from ripping all the tile out and adding a waterproofing material and redoing the tile. The cost for that is just too high. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Softus wrote
This is what insurance is for.

I don't think so, that would come under the general heading of normal maintenance.
More importantly why is he getting water leaking through a solid floor.
Floors are not designed to be waterproof.

anobium said:
Softus said:
This is what insurance is for.
I don't think so, that would come under the general heading of normal maintenance.
If you're implying that the floor could leak only if wrongly maintained, or not maintained, then I agree.

However, if a substantial amount of flooring is installed, and it develops a fault, then a buildings insurance claim seems to be eminently appropriate, in the same way that a leaking roof would lead to a valid claim.

More importantly why is he getting water leaking through a solid floor.
Floors are not designed to be waterproof.
Haven't you just answered your own question?

Sponsored Links
So you're saying the blame lies in the concrete slab rather than the tile? My problem occurs slowly, with water slowly seeping through the floor. If I pour a lot of water one day, it drips downstairs the next. No other solutions, other than redoing the whole thing?

Tommy7115 said:
So you're saying the blame lies in the concrete slab rather than the tile?
Er, no, because no slab is waterproof/impervious.

My problem occurs slowly, with water slowly seeping through the floor. If I pour a lot of water one day, it drips downstairs the next. No other solutions, other than redoing the whole thing?
Is there any sign of deteriorated grout?

What's the 2nd floor room used for? Do you have to pour a lot of water on it?

im lost :eek: what is leaking or where is the water coming from? bit confused but sounds like your water the floor every day :LOL: source where the leak is or stop watering the floor. It wont grow you know :!:

tap all the tiles with a bit of wood, to see if any 'sound' different, hollow ones should be relaid at least.

grind all the grout out with an appropriate tool, clean, and apply new grout. seal grout lines when dry, let that dry, then dump your bucket of water on the new floor.
wait for leak, if none then congratulations, otherwise a wasted weekend.

b/

Its actually an upstairs kitchen/bar area. We were cleaning it when we got the property and of course poured a bit of water on the tile. It started leaking a little while later onto the first floor. The grout actually looks fine. It doesn't take that much water before it'll start leaking. There are several spots where it leaks, but I can't really pinpoint the exact place. Plus, its hard to tell as it seems to take a little while for the water to travel through the tile/grout/concrete slab, before it starts dripping below.

Tommy7115 said:
We were cleaning it when we got the property and of course poured a bit of water on the tile. It started leaking a little while later onto the first floor.
I can't think of any circumstances where I'd just pour water onto the floor, unless it were in a tanked bathroom. Can you not just clean it in the normal way? :confused:

The grout actually looks fine.
Well clearly it isn't fine, unless you're pouring so much water that it's reaching the edge of the tiled area and escaping that way. Has the floor been sealed to the wall (or whatever it buts against)?

It doesn't take that much water before it'll start leaking. There are several spots where it leaks, but I can't really pinpoint the exact place.
You'll never find out where the leak is by looking in the room below, because the water will travel laterally until it finds a way through.

Plus, its hard to tell as it seems to take a little while for the water to travel through the tile/grout/concrete slab, before it starts dripping below.
If it were mine then I'd stop doing the pouring thing.

Softus wrote
However, if a substantial amount of flooring is installed, and it develops a fault, then a buildings insurance claim seems to be eminently appropriate, in the same way that a leaking roof would lead to a valid claim.

Not strictly true, your building insurance only covers you for storm, fire or flood damage.
A leaking roof could be just normal wear and tear, ie corroded nails holding the slates, worn lead flashing etc.
If however a water pipe within the floor had been punctured then Tommy 7115 would be covered by his insurance.
Just because he is daft enough to pour buckets of water on the floor I think the insurance co will politely tell him to take a running jump.
The only floors designed to hold water are those in a wet room.

anobium said:
Not strictly true, your building insurance only covers you for storm, fire or flood damage.
You're right. I was wrong.

A leaking roof could be just normal wear and tear, ie corroded nails holding the slates, worn lead flashing etc.
You're right. I was wrong.

If however a water pipe within the floor had been punctured then Tommy 7115 would be covered by his insurance.
Just because he is daft enough to pour buckets of water on the floor I think the insurance co will politely tell him to take a running jump.
The only floors designed to hold water are those in a wet room.
Quite so.

Well, if you saw how much grime and oil was on the floor after all the furniture/equipment was removed, you'd see why a lot of water was used to clean the place. I do believe, like you guys say, the water is finding its way at the edges of the tile, where it meets the walls. Perhaps some kind of cement sealant could be used in those areas? Any suggestions?

Tommy7115 said:
Well, if you saw how much grime and oil was on the floor after all the furniture/equipment was removed, you'd see why a lot of water was used to clean the place.
Given what you/we now know, my advice to you is to steam off the grime.

This product is probably just the job, for a modest outlay, but if you're hard up I don't see why you couldn't use a wallpaper steamer.

There I do believe, like you guys say, the water is finding its way at the edges of the tile, where it meets the walls. Perhaps some kind of cement sealant could be used in those areas? Any suggestions?
I wouldn't use anything cement based, I'd use good old Dow Corning 785 silicone sealant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back