Luxury Bath/Shower Mixer Standpipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have the task of fitting this bath/shower mixer standpipe to sit adjacent to a freestanding bath. I am unsure about how to connect the flexible tap connectors which seem to want to connect to a 15mm compression isolation valve type fitting. Is this what I should be connecting to? It concerns me too that the connections are going to be beneath the floorboards due to the nature of the standpipes design thereby making the access to them particularly difficult once the bath is in place.. I'd appreciate some pointers if I'm approaching this job from the wrong angle! A link to the mixer in question is http://www.victoriaplumb.com/Bath_Shower_Mixer_Standpipe_1a.html

Thanks for anyones help in advance.

Sponsored Links
benthecowman said:
I am unsure about how to connect the flexible tap connectors which seem to want to connect to a 15mm compression isolation valve type fitting. Is this what I should be connecting to?
I'd say so, yes. However, your description isn't very precise - do the supply ends of the flexible hoses look like this (upper right end)?

p1081010_l.jpg

If the bath supplies are 'tank-fed', then the flexibles and the 15mm connections are going to be quite restrictive, but the only way to improve that would be to reduce all other constrictions in the services.

It concerns me too that the connections are going to be beneath the floorboards due to the nature of the standpipes design thereby making the access to them particularly difficult once the bath is in place.
You need to place the valves somewhere that can be reached without removing the bath. For example, via a removable panel in the floor. Extend the pipework from wherever it currently terminates to a different position, far enough away from the bath and the standpipe. Plastic pipe can be ideal if you have to drill through joists as you can easily route it through.

Thanks for your response and sorry for the vagueness. Got loads on my plate!

I'm pretty sure the end of the braided connector is as in the photo. I would have expected it to have been a compression fitting but its more like a bsp type (i think?) that seems to fit onto the isolation valve size fitting.

I will certainly put the isolation valves somewhere that can be easily accessed but the flexi tails from the taps still need to be connected to the pipework beneath the floorboards below the standpipe so what type of connection should I be using?

Thanks again for your help.

Sponsored Links
benthecowman said:
I'm pretty sure the end of the braided connector is as in the photo. I would have expected it to have been a compression fitting but its more like a bsp type (i think?) that seems to fit onto the isolation valve size fitting.
Almost certainly it's a 1/2" BSP female thread (but it could be 3/4"), in which case it will fit onto any 1/2" BSP male threaded fitting, e.g. a compression-ended isolating valve.

I will certainly put the isolation valves somewhere that can be easily accessed but the flexi tails from the taps still need to be connected to the pipework beneath the floorboards below the standpipe so what type of connection should I be using?
As per above, but if you want to put the valves somewhere else then you could use a compression coupling and take the nut and olive off one end of it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back