Moving socket 2 feet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am looking for some help. I would like to move a socket 2 feet along a wall. The socket has a spur on it and only 6 inches of free cable. The reason for moving it is to allow me to put a radiator on the existing wall. Is there any way I can do this with out ripping up floor boards and and renewing cable. Can I raggle the wall, blank off the old socket, put in a new one and use a plastic block to make the connection from the socket I want to blank off?

Thanks for taking time to help me

Best regards
Tom

Sponsored Links
what's raggle mean?

and no you cannot have a blanked off socket behind a radiator since you would then need to be able to remove the radiator to test the connections every 5-10 years when your next inspection is due..

you'll have to pull up the floorboards and renew the cable from the last socket to this one and from this one to the next one..

and while your at it you might as well incorporate the spur into the ring if you can..

you're supposed to get a periodic inspection report done every 5-10 years in order to check that your wiring is still ok and not degrading or damaged etc..

most people don't bother..

if for some reason in the future he needs to get the consumer unit changed then the installing electrician should do a complete test and would need to check all connections which he can't do if the "plastic block" is hidden in a blanked off double box behind a radiator, or under the nice new hardwood floor or plastered into a wall etc..

Sponsored Links
ColJack said:
you're supposed to get a periodic inspection report done every 5-10 years in order to check that your wiring is still ok and not degrading or damaged etc..

most people don't bother..

I've heard it's every ten years. But yes, the vast vast majority of people don't bother, don't see why they should need it, think it's money for nothing and leave the electrics well alone as long as all's working right. Very, very few people will suddenly think, oh I'll pay someone to come and test all my electrics I think. Every electrician I've come across recently seems to relish the chance to do a periodic. Maybe it's an easy job, less than a morning's work for a couple of hundred quid and no materials. And they always find something which will lead to more work/pay for them.
Typically these periodic tests are only done when a house is being sold/bought. Then if anything is found which needs changing, the costs will be taken off the price of the house or the seller will get them done.

Won't the flooor boards need to come up to hide the radiator pipe work anyway? If you want to join the cable then crimp joint and shrink wrap the you can plaster over without worrying.

Make sure you don't drill through it when you put the radiators brackets on :LOL:

Chivers7 said:
Won't the flooor boards need to come up to hide the radiator pipe work anyway? If you want to join the cable then crimp joint and shrink wrap the you can plaster over without worrying.

Make sure you don't drill through it when you put the radiators brackets on :LOL:

Yes, problem solved.
Or (even though it's outside regs) use a junction box/connector as most DIYer's would do, and as some electricians would do.

Why not place a service point in a single back box on the other side of the wall and then chase wall and extend the ring to the new location?

Although if you do intend to lift the floor for the radiator position and pipe feeds then do as others have suggested.

pbar said:
Or (even though it's outside regs) use a junction box/connector as most DIYer's would do, and as some electricians would do.

Not a good solution as a junction box hidden under the floor or behind a radiator is very tiresome when it comes loose and can't be found to be tightened up or replaced.

JohnD said:
pbar said:

Not a good solution as a junction box hidden under the floor or behind a radiator is very tiresome when it comes loose and can't be found to be tightened up or replaced.

Understood.
It is what a great many DIYer's and electricians do however.
Is it commonplace these coming undone on their own?

Hi All
Thanks for all your advice. It looks like the floor boards are getting pulled up.
PS "raggle" is the same a chase, cutting a channel in the wall for the cable

Thanks again for all your help and advice
Tom

pbar said:
Every electrician I've come across recently seems to relish the chance to do a periodic. Maybe it's an easy job, less than a morning's work for a couple of hundred quid and no materials. And they always find something which will lead to more work/pay for them.

A PIR carries a lot of responsibility and a lot of electricians steer clear of them. It is far from an easy job for easy money. It takes years to get the experience to do them properly.

Unfortunately plug, the answer is not enough. I think the problem we have is that new entrants think you do the installation course (DI or 2330) immediately followed by 2381 then 2391. The 2391 should be seen as a course you study when you've a bit of experience.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back