Converting single Gang into Double/Triple gang socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I just moved into a house where all the rooms only have a single 1 gang electrical socket - so i decided to change these using socket convertors 1g to up to 4g, but when i removed the wall plate i could only see 2 red wires going into one terminal and 2 black wires going into one terminal - no bare or earth wire. This is the same for the 3 rooms i want to change.

Just wondered what i should do in this situation - carry on installing the convertors or get an electrician?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Are you sure there isn't an earth connection to the backbox? If not get an electrician in and don't use any class I appliances until it is sorted.

Can you post a photo of the wiring?

What material was the insulation?

What colour was the socket front (white, cream or brown), and was it switched?

I will try and get a photo tomorrow - i'm not sure of the material, the socket is switched but there are others that are sort of cream (the switches are not flat like modern switches, more like a lever) - is it likely there is an earth connectio to the back box - i have not removed it.

thanks

Sponsored Links
It sounds to me that your wiring is run in metal conduit. If you look at where the wires enter the box, can you see any outer cable sheath, or do the cables come up into the box in a metal tube (conduit)?

If so, the metal tube should be providing the earth to the back box and the act of screwing the socket onto the backbox provides the earth path.

Do post a photo, a picture is worth a 1,000 words...

Ok, looks like your wiring is run in conduit like i thought.

If replacing the sockets with converta ones I would recommend that you get someone with a low reading ohmmeter to check that the conduit is providing a proper earth at each socket (or run an Earth Fault Loop Impedance test). And that you run a length of earth wire between the backbox and the socket itself.
I dont trust those converta sockets to do a decent job otherwise.

Hi

Thanks, think i might just call an electrician - Any ideas on how much getting two of these sorted and converted will cost in general?

thanks

depends on how much work involved.

you are not going to like this, but i bet he says it needs a rewire, they loolk like vey old singles to me

Hi

Just thinking about it, a new electric shower was installed last year and a boiler and central heating about 10 years ago - surely if the wiring was too old it wouldn't be safe to do so - especially a shower.

Still ringing for quotes - but i don't think i could afford a rewire

is it just my eyes or do they look like 4mm²'s too?

a full rewire will set you back between £1500 and £3000 depending on location, number of rooms, etc, etc..

you could probably just get the sockets rewired

it's possible to change the backbox to doubles but would involve making a mess of the walls a bit..

It may not be that easy Col. Most of the domestic conduit installations I have seen have concrete floors or ceilings with no access to the elbows and conduit junctions.

Could be easy, could be a right pig!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back