Vokera Excell 80SP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Vokera Excell 80SP the pilot light is on however it is not firing up for either Hot water or Heating I have taken the front cover off and there is a ( can only descibe a humming noise) that has replaced the normal running sound of the heater before . If i press on the internal metal cover the noise defiates a little and then returns back to humming noise seems like a vibration defiation in its sound, has anyone any ideas on how i can rectify thankyou.

Sponsored Links
when you say front cover do you mean the white case or the cover to the burner chamber?

Its most likely the fan seized, it should be going at slow rate all the time?

only taken the white front cover off. The humming is coming from within the metal case housing the burner unit and it seems to be coming from the top but it is not running as it used to as i say just humming. I have turned the boiler off as I was a little concerned of the noise.I presume it will require an engineer to repair what is a estimated cost for the repair ( if you have any ideas ! ) thanks for your quick response very impressive!!!!

Sounds very much like the fan yes.

Cost of part is maybe £100 plus fitting which doesnt take too long.

As long as the rest of the boiler is in good condition then its worth repairing!

And it would be wise to get a corgi man to carry out the work

Sponsored Links
in London we charge a fixed price diagnostic charge of £84 plus the cost of parts but that includes a service.

The Vokera parts are a little more reasonable and I think the fan is a lot less than the £100 most boiler fans cost.

Since its part of the gas train it should only be fitted by a CORGI but a very competent DIYer could probably manage.

It could probably be given a new lease of life with a little motor oil for a few days up to a few months. But DONT use WD40 as thats inflamable!

Tony

Thanks for the replies appreciated !! by the way how old is the Vokera excell 80SP ? as it was already installed when i moved into the house ( just for my info ) and when should you consider replacing a boiler is there a normal period when a boiler should be replaced.

Your boiler was in current production about 1994-7.

They are expected to have a life of at least 10-12 years.

Generally I suggest that they are only replaced when they have started to be unreliable. Thats usually when they are fittted to a dirty system.

A generally reliable boiler like yours will have a diverter valve failure every 2-3 year which we fix for £106. I advise that they are well worth keeping for another three years at least.

A failed fan is very unusual! It may well result from disconnecting power while the pilot is alight as that over heats them.

Tony

Agile said:
Your boiler was in current production about 1994-7.

They are expected to have a life of at least 10-12 years.

Generally I suggest that they are only replaced when they have started to be unreliable. Thats usually when they are fittted to a dirty system.

A generally reliable boiler like yours will have a diverter valve failure every 2-3 year which we fix for £106. I advise that they are well worth keeping for another three years at least.

ile theA failed fan is very unusual! It may well result from disconnecting power wh pilot is alight as that over heats them.

Tony

Oops made a buggar of that Will i agree with tony that fan failed but disagree that it is unusual. I carry one on my stock & generally change one every 2 weeks or so. But that may be because we have a lot of vokeras thup north with our cloth caps & whippets

This make is a favourite of mine. What with reasonably priced parts and good build quailty (not the recent models), if this boiler is serviced regularly, it will look after your heat needs for many years.

I have clients with Turbos which are over 20 years old, and still chugging away.

My advice? Keep boiler changers at arms length and have the boiler serviced properly (not 15 minute 'look see').

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back