MCB and wires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!

I have a fairly old looking consumer unit. We had a shower fitted a while ago and and MCB was used. We now have unit with 1 MCB and 5 regular wire fuses. I have been advised to replace these wires with MCBs. The question / problem is that the wire fuses I have are 3 and 30 and 2 at 5 but the modern MCBs don't come in this level the closest is a 32 and a 6 I think. Is this a problem or should I be using something different.

Thanks for any help!
Emma

Sponsored Links
In general you can use 6 amp MCBs and 32 amp MCBs to replace 5 amp fuses and 30 amp fuses respectively.

Remember that old consumer units are not RCD protected, and that you should use an RCD of either the plug in variety, or an RCD protected socket/switch for anything outside.

i'm no expert :) but i think there is a difference in the units used to measure them - i think imperial and Renard where for eg imperial is 15A and Renard is 16A...

Is your unit Wylex or Proteus?

If Wylex you can used Wylex range of mcb's (B6, B10, B16, B20, B32)

If your board has a main switch of rating less than 100A, you should not install any circuit greater than 32A. If you have, then a board change is recommended. Well, I recommend a board change anyway, but recognise that this is not always practical for whatever reason.

However, if the existing set-up is dangerous - and if you have a board with main switch <100A and a circuit >32A it is, then change it should.

Cannot speak for Proteus, but based on Wylex so should accept Wylex plug-in breakers. GE also make "mini-trip" mcb's that fit Wylex.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the guidence. I think my unit does have and RDC (is that the big switch with On/Off). I'm not sure of the make but its black with catridges containing the wires.

MCBs are the right thing to use on this arent they?

On the basis of what you've written so far I'd suggest you get an electrician in to give it the once-over.

Well I did the job at the weekend (and I do have an RDC!). Everything went well and I was reassured by the lovely people and B&Q that I was doing the right thing.

Maybe I wont ever make it to sparky but at least I know what and RDC is now.

Cheers,
Emma

emmacagain said:
Maybe I wont ever make it to sparky but at least I know what and RDC is now.

Cheers,
Emma

says it all about b & Q, :LOL: RDC

if you want to call it an RDC you go ahead girl! I know what you meant ;)

Next time I go to the 'saler, I'll ask for a Residual Device Current and see what I get.

images
:?:

No. That's a Red Currant.

But a valiant effort, all the same!!

:LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back