Fan Speed Control Unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install a fan speed control unit into a timed fan in order to quieten it down a touch.

The switch I have has a knob similar to a dimmer switch and at the back there are 2 terminals.

Can anyone tell which part of the circuit the control is wired to.

Thanks in anticipation

Sponsored Links
it will have to go between the timer and the fan, since if you put it before the timer it will lower the voltage to it and sto it working..

Ah, that seems to make sense. Thanks.

The fan is a wall mounted Addvent AVX150TA.

The timer is on the circuit board. So this would involve wiring from the circuit board outlet to the fan motor.

I was thinking it would just be a case of stepping down the voltage of the permanent live but if that feeds the timer then that is why the thing won't work when I try this.

So I'm stuck with things as they are?

buy a quieter running fan? a new one often runs quieter than one a few years old as the bearings wear..

Sponsored Links
Yep, I'll just do that. (The fan is about ten years old I suppose!)

Many thanks for your help.

So back to this...

The variable Fan Control Switch has 2 terminals marked L1 and C, I take it that is for Live 1 and Common (there is a L2 but that has had its terminal removed).

How should this switch be wired?

Cheers for any help.

Oh, and what is the difference between a dimmer switch and a fan control (the fan control does say on it "For Fans Only")

Albert

But last year you said

AlbertR said:
Yep, I'll just do that. (The fan is about ten years old I suppose!)

and as you were also told

ColJack said:
it will have to go between the timer and the fan, since if you put it before the timer it will lower the voltage to it and sto it working..

it does not matter which way round.

however it may be that your fan is not able to be speed controlled so you may have to get a new quiter one anyway, and if you can slow it down, it will not work as well as it did since it is running slower

So anyway, ignoring the advice and forgetting what I said I was going to do......... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Addvent, not that I would ever knock CEF's fine in-house brands, can be improved upon with something from Vent Axia/Xpelair, but definitely not anything from a skip, allegedly. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back