Advice on Warmfront grant to replace back boiler please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
. . . and whether we can use another installer?

My Mother has qualified for a Warm Front grant to replace her 25 year old Baxi Bermuda gas back boiler with a newer more efficient wall mounted model.
Unfortunately the 'surveyor' that the installer sent round wasn't very helpful and didn't fill her with confidence!

She wants to have the new boiler fitted in an enclosed extension that is timber built with a corrugated plastic roof.
The surveyor wants to install it in her bedroom.

He's said it can't be in the extension because it's electric and it's 'outside' the house (despite there being electric lights, power points, freezer, and a small consumer unit out there).
The Bedroom location means that they'll have to run the flue through the wall above the plastic roof of the extension, and although Mum suggested scaffolding would be needed to protect it, he said they'd just stand on boards laid on top of the plastic roof.

Their quote doesn't mention the make or type of boiler to be installed either.

So overall we're not impressed with the installer and called warmfront, only to be told to call the installer and ask them to send another surveyor BUT they might want to charge for this, and it would come off her available grant.

So firstly, is there any reason why the boiler can't be sited in the extension (the flue could go horizontally for about 3m to an outside brick wall if it can't go up through the plastic roof)?

Secondly, does anyone have any experience of getting Warmfront to pay for your own installer (assuming they can do the same job for equal or less money)?
When I called them to ask about another installer they said we had to use their 'approved' installers.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I am a warm front installer, but you do not specify which type of grant your mother has qualified for. If it is the full cost of replacement then I believe all work is farmed out to one contractor who is part of them.

I only get to deal with the warmfront 300 grant and there a lot of installers available for this. I can't see the problem with the boiler position and at worst it would need a seperate 30millamp RCD to protect it.

Thanks for the reply.
All the letter from warm front says is is "you have qualified for a warm front grant of £2700.00."
They then go on to list:
"other work already done or due to be done £518.41" which I asked them what that was when I rang and they said it was for cavity wall insulation that she had done a few years ago. Then there's:
"Contractors quotation to complete work £1927.21
Cost of materials £537.12;
Total cost of work recommended £2982.74;
Grant available £2700.00
Your contribution £316.40
The first 'assesor' who came round was from WarmFront and he agreed her eligibility for the boiler replacement.
The second 'surveyor' who came was from a limited company who said they had been appoinyed to carry out the survey and works.

I don't suppose you know of a good warm front installer who we could ask them to use - she lives in the Tunbridge Wells/Heathfield/Crowborough area in East Sussex?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back