Fused connection unit within chiney hood?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

Wonder if anyone could help me with this.

I'm currently fitting a new chimney hood extractor in our kitchen and I was wondering whether I can put the fused connection unit within the chimney hood so it's out of sight or do I have to place it a certain distance away from the chimney?

The hood has carbon filters and is not ducted outside.

Thanks!

Ricky

Sponsored Links
So all the steam off your pan of boiling peas would get sucked up past the FSU? :confused:

Would of thought that was bad.

somebody more knowledgable than me will be along shortly to tell you tho.

You do know work in the kitchen is notifiable under PART P?

It is much better to have the FCU 200mm above your worktop, like the sockets. then you can turn it on and off or change the fuse without standing on a chair or getting your hands covered in grease and fluff.

You can have a flex outlet at high level. It need not be inside the hood getting filthy, you can have it high up and beside the hood, no-one will look up there and notice it but it will be easily accessible for servicing or replacement of the hood.

the cable can be channelled into the wall between the FCU and the flex outlet and must run direct and vertical.

As Roo says you are obliged by law to notify work like this in a kitchen to your local council and pay a fee; or have it done by an electrician who is a member of a self-certification scheme and will deal with the paperwork.

BTW a recirculating hood is almost entirely useless. How far is it from the nearest external wall?

Sponsored Links
Good advice.

Gonna get an electrician in and get it sorted properly.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back