Shower pump keeps cutting off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a twin impellor shower pump and every time it comes on it only lasts for about 15 seconds then shuts down, i have cleaned the inlet and outlet hoses of any gunk and debris but to no avail.

Anybody have any idea's on this?

Sponsored Links
newteam,not sure on model probably 4/5 years old. can this be fixed or are we loking at new pump?

jswaw said:
i have cleaned the inlet and outlet hoses of any gunk and debris but to no avail.

Anybody have any idea's on this?
Can you explain what gunk and debris you cleared out?

Sponsored Links
there seamed to be asmall piece of rubber plus a few other bits difficult to explain. these were in the filters in the inlet pipes , they may have interfered with the flow!! but all clear now. Can the pumps be fixed or do i need to buy another?

When it shuts down, can you restart it immediately, or do you have to leave it for some time?

Well, I have to agree with Dan_Robinson - if the pump isn't actually overheating, which after 15 seconds seems unlikely, then either the thermal cut-out or a flow switch is operating incorrectly.

If it were my own pump then I'd contact the manufacturer just to check what parts are available. If it were a client's pump then I'd recommend replacing it for a new Stuart Turner.

Thanks guy's for your comments, looks like i can get spares from shower doc.co.uk,they list reed swichtes, but no thermal cut out. as for the stuart turner pump i guess you get what you pay for!!

Cheers

The problem could well be caused by the main relay on the PCB. This was the case for me, pump was working fine for years then all of a sudden it started cutting out and pulsing.

With the shower running make sure that 48V is present across the coil (measure with a multimeter) (PIN A1 and A2). If it is present then make sure PIN 14 is live (240V).

If PIN 14 is not live then the pump will not run, if it is live hold on the probes until the pump cuts out or starts to pulse. When it cuts out confirm that 240V is no longer present on the swich side of the relay but 48V is present on the coil side.

Farnell do not do a relay the same make but this one worked fine for me

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?SKU=9659650

TYCO ELECTRONICS - T7NS5D4-48 - RELAY, PCB, MINIATURE, SPCO, 10A

Hope this helps someone,

Nick.

I have just fixed one of these.
It was the 220nf capacitor on the PCB.
I was not getting enough volts at the relay so the pump was intermittently stopping and starting.

I have just fixed one of these.
It was the 220nf capacitor on the PCB.
I was not getting enough volts at the relay so the pump was intermittently stopping and starting.

same same ,starting stopping,68 pence from RS,208-7037 RS PART NUMBER,Polyester capacitor,220nF 275Vac 27.5mm,these symptoms are the same as air lock,not enough water flow,flow switch faulty,etc etc,because i wen through all those first,i mailed stuart turner twice and they could not be bothered to reply even ,thats really good of them i dont think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back