15Kw plus Cooker/hob and cable colours!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I am in the middle of a kitchen rip out and when removing a cupboard have found what I assume is the old cooker point (terminated thick cable - no switch or socket). Firstly the cable is almost an inch thick (and round) with three insulated cores Red, Blue, Yellow. Would I be correct in assuming that Red is live, blue is neutral and yellow is earth? As I\\\'d like to put a test meter on to see if it is still connected to the mains.

Secondly I\\\'ve been looking at a cooker and hob that\\\'s going to run into the 15Kw range (oven 7.4, hob 7.9 - maybe a bit more depending on which model we go for!), assuming that the cable is a minimum of 10mm (it\\\'s lot thicker than the one that went to shower!) would these be able to connect to the same point as I assume that these would have a draw of 65 Amps when on full (Like at christmas!).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Oh.. incidentally the consumer unit is a old Wylex plug-in job! Even if you can plug both in to the cable end would I be able to get a plug-in MCB with such a high rating?

Cheers
Steve

Sponsored Links
if it is round, an inch thick, with red blue and yellow it sounds like a three-phase supply cable.

Hopefuly it is dead now but might carry 415volts.

It might have a steel wire armour round the three coloured cores.

Was your house ever industrial premises? this cable is not usually found inside houses.

the is a chance someone stole a length of cable from work and used it for some other purpose.

Wylex Standard consumer units with plug-in fuses or mcbs are not usually safe above 32A per circuit and often 60A max total of all circuits. Put up a photo of yours and we can say more.

If you are using a double oven and an electric hob you should supply each from a separate circuit. Have you considerd a gas hob?

Thanks for the quick reply.

The house is a terraced built 1910 and so never used industrially. It's not armoured cable but the grey outer jacket is rubbery (like flex) though much thicker. Also the internal cores of each cable consist of half a dozen thick copper strands (like armoured). - I'm at work at the moment but will try to up a pic of cable and fuse box.

Have considered gas hobs but ceramic is so much easier to clean!! LOL

Sponsored Links
Firstly my estimate of cable thickness was on the big side it's more like 20mm in diameter.

I have (hopefully) enclosed a pic of the fuse box and cable.

Assuming that with the appropriate MCB in the right slot there is power to the cable would it be best to only have the 7.4kw oven on this and go for the gas hob. And of cause does the fuse box look ok for the 45amp mcb?

FUSEBOX.jpg

COOKERCABLE.jpg

By the way did I assume correctly about the core colours?

can't see the pictures

edited

I can see them now

1) that is a very old CU. the max load it can carry is 60Amps. It is overdue for replacement.

2) the max fuse or MCB it will accept is 32Amps (unless it has been bodged)

3) that cable termination is disgusting. Assume you can't use it and budget for a new circuit.

p.s. if/when you take off the cover of that CU, there will still be live terminals exposed at the top of the main switch, even when you have turned it off.

p.p.s. As i suspected, someone has used an unsuitable length of cable they stole from work.

Thanks for the advice.

Will get some quotes for a new CU and run, though due to the added expense of a new CU may just stick with a all gas oven.

Thanks anyway.

the CU needs replacing anyway. You will probably find it has a wooden frame back. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back