potterton 60E problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a potterton 60E boiler problem. When boiler switches on it ignites and heats up normally for 2 or 3 mins and then switches off. The pilot remains lit but nothing else, as if the gas supply has been switched off. Pump is working ok. Pressure switch checks out ok. Any advice would be welcome.

Sponsored Links
check the water level in the feed and expansion cistern in the loft. it sounds like it has no water init.

This is a sealed system. Do you think it is a Thermal problem. When boiler is cold it works normally for about 5 mins and then main gas flow cuts off and pilot remains lit.

Most modern boilers use a gas valve with two operating solenoids. One for the pilot and one for the main gas. It is not unusual for these to fail after current has been passing through for a few minutes then after turning of and cooling down they will work for a short time. If your boiler is a profile the solenoid will be either red or black about an inch long and round. When boiler fails check both of these for 240v .If they both have it then it is a faulty main gas solenoid cost about a £15 and take 2 mins to fit. The boiler wiring diagram will tell you which is which. Not saying 100 % this what it is but there is a good chance as other faults would not bring pilot on.

Sponsored Links
I would look for lack of circulation. Check pipes connected to boiler- these should be hot (flow anyway). Air lock or lack of water (previous post) will cause the boiler to fire, heat the water and then switch off on boiler stat. Set the boiler thermostat to minimum. From cold let the boiler come on. When it switches off, increase the setting on the boilerstat. Does the boiler fire to shut down a few minutes later?

The pump may well not be working ok. They can have their impellers come off, or get so choked you just have a spinning disc which pumps nowt.

If it was lack of circulation the pilot would not be lit as this boiler doesn`t have a permenant pilot. Pilot only comes on when there is a demand from the boiler stat etc. Sequence is boiler stat demand, pilot solenoid operates, ignition occurs ,piot is established sends signal back to board, board then puts voltage to main gas solenoid allowing main gas to come through. So if the boiler stat was reaching temp and cutting out why is pilot on as this ,as said only stays on with boiler demand and shuts off when no demand from boiler stat. So either main solenoid breaking down or board not putting power to main solenoid...unless gas valve faulty by allowing pilot to stay on with no demand in which case there would be 2 completley separate faults

Thanks for your help and your diagnisis was spot on. It was the main gas solenoid, which was BLACK and 1 inch long and easy to replace but difficult to source. I eventually sourced 1 through a friend who works for Gas Company at 35 euros. All working ok now. Thanks again.

Hi There,

I have same problem with my Potterton Netaheat Profile 60e boiler. It comes on for couple of minutes and then goes off while piolet remains on. In order to get it working, I have to on and of it several times.

when I took overheat thermostat out from its capillary, both hot water and central heating worked fine.

I replaced this thermostat (P.I.L. Part No. 404495) and boiler worked fine for three days and now same problem has come back again.

Thanking you in advance for your help.

Thermostat is incapable of putting burner out but leaving pilot on - you have a faulty gas valve or gas valve part.

Get that fixed, you may find that other "evidence" is just coincidences!

Hi, I have exact same problem with my boiler. Where did you source the solenoid, do you have a part number? Thanks.

check PCB as netaheat often has problems with these. Check voltage going to gas valve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back