How do I blank these off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have the set-up show below, but I need to remove 2 of the radiators from the manifolds where the X's are.

I'd like to avoid draining the system down and planned on quickly unscrewing each nut and then replacing it with some sort of cap to minimise fluid loss.

Is this possible - can I get screw in caps to replace the pipes I'm removing from the manfolds?

Is this the correct procedure - unscrew the nut, slide it back down the pipe then remove the pipe and olive (will it have one?) and screw the new blanking cap back on in its place.

spur-layout.jpg

Sponsored Links
You really need to drain it down, why are you avoiding that? it's no big deal. Easiest thing would be to drain down, cut the pipes about 1" from the unions and fit end feed caps to these tails.
Having said that compression blanks are available and if you don't mind the flood risk you could try what you suggest. Don't forget to prepare your blanks with ptfe tape etc before you unscrew anything :rolleyes: Is that a ceiling below?

They look like 22mm F and R to the manifolds - not that it makes any difference.

Drain it ;)

They look like Yorkshire 1492 manifolds!

Cap nuts for these are Yorkshire 1478c

They are still availlable as I used some recently!!

Better to drain down or air lock the system if o/vented!!
You will then lose very little water!!

Sponsored Links
Cheers guys. Yes its a ceiling below.

Its also a drop-feed set up, so i'd have to drain each drop individually at the rad valve right..?

If I drain the system down what do I need to add to the header tank whilst allowing it to refill? Seen loads of different stuff that can be added - what would you pro's recommend?

Do I need to do anything different when allowing it to refill based on the fact its a drop feed set up?

BTW, the water in my header tank looks very dirty - is this normal...?!

Thanks again.

Add an inhibitor!! X100 or similar.

Just bleed each rad in turn, downstairs first.

It's not unusual. Remove it, clean it, put it back. You could put some system cleaner in, run that round for a few days then drain down again and fill up with inhibitor.

Clean out the builders rubble too :cool: I hate seeing all that mess under floorboards. Henry is a good friend to help out.

As it is a ceiling underneath it would be very unwise to do it without draining as the black water will probably fall through the ceiling and permanently stain whatever is under it.

Also put some emulsion roller trays and sponges to put under the pipes when you open them to catch the remaining spills.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back