Bath seals and big blokes!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bf mentioned last night that when he was having a bath (horrid new plastic bath - long story) a gap appeared round the edge of the bath between the bath and the silicone, as if the bath had sunk lower than the silicone will 'give'. Once he was out of the bath looking at it from above you wouldn't notice anything untoward. (Though I must admit neither of us has got into the empty bath to peer along the edges for cracks.)

He's a big bloke - 17/18 stones - so is this to be expected? Or short of re-siliconing it all with him and a load of water in it for 24 hours is there a remedy for this? Am a bit concerned about it not being watertight but more than that the ridiculous scenario that he's too heavy for the bath.

TIA

Sponsored Links
For such a large bloke you should fill the bath to the brim and then silicone and leave to cure. :D

If he could get Sky Sports and a coolbox full of beers in there he probably would be quite happy to do that... :rolleyes: :D

Sponsored Links
Um, am just thinking about this. I think they filled the bath, sealed it, then told me to wait 24 hours before emptying it. Which I did... I then had a bath very shortly afterwards as by that point I'd had no bathing or showering facilities for 12 days! :eek:

If it was left 24hrs it should be ok, not your fault.

I do hope that they set the sides of the bath beneath and not against the tiles. that it was also sealed to the wall at first fix stage, belt and braces essential with a modern bath. That the legs are screwed down and made stronger to the bath than the pathetic design by banding over them, that the l brackets or similar were secured well, as the modern bath is such a flimsy apparatus it takes cunning to fit one well.

That, I don't know. I was horrified at the gaffe I made when I saw them smash up the old cast iron bath (fair dos, it had to go..) and then its replacement was carried up practically under the lad's arm.

The tilers insisted it was better that the bath was in before the tiling was done and indeed there were a couple of brackets recessed into the wall that were then tiled over. Funnily enough I did have a bit of a to do with them about the legs; I noticed there were screws in only one of the holes in each of the two front legs; first the lad insisted all screws were in ('I used black headed screws') then that it wasn't necessary to screw them all in. I said that wasn't the point; we were only talking screws and if there were holes in the legs for screws then I wanted them all screwed in. I told his boss as much as well when he came round. Unfortunately at the point when this would have been done (or not) I wasn't in the room so I just have to take their word for it that this was done.

However he of the black headed screws was depressingly keen - for an apprentice - to cut corners so I can say with 110% certainty that belt and braces approach it won't have been.

Will the situation as it is be ok? They did assure me when I expressed my concerns that the bath was perfectly secure so if I call them back over this - particularly as they're limited in what they can do without ripping off tiles etc - they'll just think I'm a silly, hysterical female... :rolleyes:

It sounds like a pretty good job for an apprentice.

it won,t be the end of the world if only one screw per leg. I would expect extra support where the tubing that makes the leg framework is fixed to the bargeboard, and after I had fixed it to the floor and wall and bonded it to the wall, the next day I would try to move it and if it was wobbly I would sort it out.

Then as tilers insisted it would have been tiled over, but bottom of tiles not grouted. Silicon next day after filling withwater.

If walls are solid it should then not do what yours is doing.

If walls are flapping about I would have braced those first with well placed noggins where the bath touches it.

I don't do much of that sort of work but when I do it doesn't rely on silicone not to move.

Yuk indeed. :cry: The fixing instructions which were left don't even mention a brand name; 'made in England' is all they say! But it was accept that sight unseen or be without a bath and shower for another week and a half, so...

Don't know about supported, but a plywood floor was laid on top of the floorboards and the legs (legs?! They're barely thicker than screws) were so far as I know just screwed into that.

I suspect there are issues with the subfloor or joist not really being big enough - my Brother has just that, but partly due to the weight of tiles, under sized joists, and the bath being butted up against tiles rather than under them.

My wife's flat as was, had a gap of around 7mm when I got in the bath - I'm 18.5 stone and 6"7.

So, all in; your fuill bath weighs a quarter of a tonne with partner and water - sitting on piddly legs on a questionable flooring.

I hope the appy used packing to reduce the height of the wobbly bits of leg and spread the load. If not, it could be done afterwards:
bathfoot.jpg

The other thing you could try, if you can reach, would be a variation of
Toclampabathtoawall.gif

Got the same problem with a steel bath. Found that the modern useless chipbard floor was knackered due to damp bathroom floor. Replaced with floorboards - problem solved. On the point of cheapo baths, has anyone tried to get a cast iron bath in Cornwall. The only place that seems to stock them is in Lancashire, local firms will get one for me but I don't want to spend £350.00 plus before seeing it. The same goes for Idealcast baths (Acrylic but reinforced to cast iron strength.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back