MCB problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My MCB (45Amps)) keeps tripping after 5-10 mins after the shower is turned on, it has been working ok for about 3 months then suddenly started to trip the MCB, then finally the MCB overheated and started smoking.. the shower is fitted with 10mm cable and goes from the consumer unit through RCD then direct to the Shower. I do have a spur of the main cable running a 13amp socket but nothing is connected to it. All I can assume is that because the RCD doesn't trip then there isn't a power surge drawing too much current but there must be a overload or short ( but if it was a short wouldn't this make the MCB trip immediatelly???) can anyone shed any light on this problem.. thanks BV

Sponsored Links
a dodgy connection the the mcb causeing arcing and heat seems likely

whufc said:
the shower is fitted with 10mm cable and goes from the consumer unit through RCD then direct to the Shower.
That's an unusual way round to do it.

I do have a spur of the main cable running a 13amp socket
That's not good. Have you thought about the relative values of the MCB protecting the 10mm shower cable and the capacity of the spur cable?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back