Fitting Beech Wooden Worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Sorry if this has been covered numerous times, I did search but did'nt find anything definitive.

I'm currently planning a kitchen upgrade and the current plan is to have a wooden beech worktop. The kitchen is coming from Ikea and the worktop I plan to have is this.

So my question is what is the best way of fitting this, we have a L shaped kitchen so I need to do one join. As it seems to be square edged will a simple butt joint be ok ? rather than anything fancy i.e. a mason joint (I believe its called)

Theres lots of mention of routing, if I'm simply using a butt joint do I need to do this ? I will probably rent a decent circular saw to cut the worktop in the appropriate place but I'm unsure of what the cut will look like or if a router will give a better finish.

Finally do I need to cut holes in the underside for butterfly bolts to hold the joint together ? Or is this only for laminate style worktops and there a better method for solid wood worktops ?

Apologies for all the questions and thanks to all that take the time to help me out !! As you can probably tell I'm very much a newbie at this, though looking forward to the work ....

Cheers

Andy

Sponsored Links
Their are plenty of posts about fitting worktops.

But in this instance, you really need to do a small masons mitre, otherwise you will have the chamfer running along the length of your join, which will look awful.

Seal your cut edges thoroughly, 4/5/6 coats if necessary.

Worktop bolts are fine to use.

You could get a metal joining strip which will save you loads of time and money. Some people hate them though, so you might think it worthwhile to go the extra mile.

Sponsored Links
scottster - thanks for the pics. I've been wondering If I should go for a thicker worktop as well ... think I will go and see what they look like before deciding.

Thanks all for advice on joining bolts etc - looks like a small masons mitre is required, as you save otherwise the small camber will be visible as there not completely square. Though I supose this could be done at a 45 degree angle and straight edge rather than curving as I dont see a major difference.

Cheers

And

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back