Q: Do I have a double pole switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After a couple of false starts in replacing my extractor fan, I\'ve finally gotten round to doing it. My problem, before I get started and find myself caught short (Having looked through the forums, this seems to be a common symptom), is thus:

The fan will run of a standard setup for an NDX100T Timed fan, the destructions say that there should be a double pole isolating switch where the Neutral runs to the fan/light, the live runs from the double pole to the light switch and then to the fan, and the live switch runs from the light switch to the light and then the fan.

My question is that as far as I can see (no roof access as I'm in a middle floor flat) there is no double pole isolating switch unless it is the light switch. Assuming that it is a double pole switch, can I safely run the live from it or will I need to install another double pole?

On the other hand (I think the answer to this one will be a NO), if it's not a double pole, will it be safe to ignore it's absence or would it be best to install one?

Thanks for any advice given, I hope I've not confused anyone with my description!

Sponsored Links
I doubt the ceiling light switch you have is double pole. I think you'll find you need to fit a triple pole fused switched spur - see next post

If the fan has a timer over-run then you will need a permanant live, switched live and neutral. Your isolator will need to isolate all three connections.

This can be acheived with the use of a triple pole fan isolator switch. You can either mount a standard 3 Pole Fan Isolator Switch outside the bathroom (usually above the door), or a 3 pole Fan Ceiling Pull Switch somewhere near the fan

If I chose to mount the 3 pole fan ceiling switch, would this be wired so that the live goes from the light switch to the three pole isolator and the live switch and neutral come in from the light fitting all going to the 3 pole switch (pull cord so it's near the fan) and then from here to the fan?

Would this isolate the light and the fan or would this just isolate the fan?

Thanks for the help guys, your help is much appreciated. :D

Sponsored Links
easier to go
light>isolator>switch> fan

that is assuming you have 2 switches one for fan one for light

wiring diagram is in the sticky posts (top of this forum, thats forum, not subject)

I've only got the one switch that does the fan and the light at the moment. Looking at the diagram in the sticky, would it be possible to use the following instead of my light switch (a little bit extra safety)
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MK3151.html
as recommended in the wiring diagram, and then use a triple pole isolator as I mentioned above.

Even if i don't use the Dual Pole Isolator Switch, would it be possible to wire my fan as I've mentioned above?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back