Corsa Speedo & Mileometer stopped working...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a couple of problems with my car and would appreciate some knowledgable person's advice! I'll give all the details I have to help get a good diagnosis!

I have an x-plate Corsa 1.2i 16v Club (later shape - Feb 2000 I think) and the problems are:

Problem 1
While traveling at a steady 80mph my speedo started to fluctuate significantly and, after 10 mins, stopped at zero and hasn't moved since. I also noticed the mileometer had stopped at the same time. Shortly after the maintenance light came on. My fella has checked all the fuses and they are all fine.

Problem 2
At the same time as Problem 1 happened my Power Assisted Steering (PAS) went very light on left turns. It stayed this way for the rest of my motorway journey but at the first round about I noticed it had suddenly gone heavier than normal. I pulled over, stopped and restarted the engine and it returned to light to the left and normal to the right. It's repeated this two or three times since.

I've rang garages about both the above problems and no one can see me before Friday but I don't want to drive around for that long with no speedo! Any helps would be appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
Power steering fluid is low i would suggest, you will want it checking for leaks.

Speedo dying is going to be a sensor connected to the ECU which isn't feeding properly, usually a speed sensor oddly, although not really familiar with your car so wouldn't know where to start looking. Looks like the ECU is also complaining about other sensors it has lost contact with, which will light the maintenance light. At best you have dropped a couple of sensors at worst you have lost your ECU.

Steering is definitely mechanical, and probably down to fluid loss.

Alot of the later vauxhalls have electric power steering system, (not sure about this corsa model) steering faults can be one of the first signs of a faulty alternator, which may possibly be linked to the speedo problem

Sponsored Links
Back