Floor joist size and layout in extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We're having an extension built and the builder has just put the floor joists in for downstairs.

He has built a small load bearing wall down the length to help bear the weight.

The total span for each joist is approx 11 ft ... so 5 1/2 ft each way.
The joist size is approx 4'' * 2''.
They are spaced at about 450 mm.

I just wanted to check are these joists suitable over this span?

... Also ...

Where the extension meets with the existing exterior door he has avoided laying the 2 joists into the existing concrete doorstep so they have no brick support at that end.
Instead he has cut and nailed a joist to fit to the gap next one each side of the two adjacent ... a little confsing sorry ... it fits perpindicular to the joists across the top of the two short joists and nailed each end to the two adjacent full length joists.
Is this standard practice???
Will this be strong enough with the two taking the load at one end of all four?

thanks
[/img]

Sponsored Links
It would have been better to 5"x2"s at 400mm centres,but I exspect he has set out the floor levels out ,to cater for 4"x2"s,at the very least he should put some joist hangers around the ends of all the trimming he has done around the doorway.He should double up on the trimmer that is running parrell with thedoorway Looks to me you are letting him carry out work before actually discussing withhim what should be done .Did you have any drawings done

Sponsored Links
thanks for your advice ... I had a word and it seems it is only temporary ... joist hangers and "doubled up" joists to be added later.

thanks for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back