Fitting neon indicator switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to fit a neon indicator switch in place of an ordinary light switch. Unfortunately there is only one wire to and from the switch (plus an earth).
The new switch is a double pole switch with the neon wired across the two bottom terminals.
I understand that I also need a "neutral" wire to make it work properly.
Where do I find a neutral wire?
How do I wire up the switch?
Frengineer.

Sponsored Links
some old neon indicator switches used to have the indicator across the switch ie across live and switchline the neon was on when the switch was open and off when made it basically ended up in series with the lamp and the switch shorted the neon or not accordingly.
The main use of this was to locate switches in the dark.
if you wish the neon on when the light is then you will need to rewire a neutral to the switch (three core and earth from rose to switch).

..or perhaps a double insulated singles cable would be easier, if the installation is in steel conduit.

sparkmanc said:
..or perhaps a double insulated singles cable would be easier, if the installation is in steel conduit.

well if it is in steel conduit (doubtful) double insulated wire is not required

Frengineer, why do you want this switch?

Sponsored Links
Thank you all for the replies.

I need the switch to tell me that the bathroom fan is going.

The long story is that I wanted to dim the (new) lights and had a pull dimmer fitted (inside the bathroom). This setup didn't kick the fan control because (I think) the dimmer switch reduced the output voltage. So now the outside switch switches the whole lot on. What happens now is that when somebody turns the lights off with the pull switch it leaves the fan going (it is very quiet).
Hence the need for the neon.
Frengineer.

why not fit a big neon in its own box above the outside of the bathroom and run a cable directly to the fan?

breezer said:
sparkmanc said:

well if it is in steel conduit (doubtful) double insulated wire is not required

Frengineer, why do you want this switch?

I actually just mean a conduit drop for the switch buried in the wall (Pretty common) - not the whole system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back