Plastering and painting outside wall, good idea?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After coming back from Greece, i'll come over all greek.

I have a smallish backyard, 15ft x 30ft, coronation st style terrace.

I was thinking of plastering the walls then painting the white.

Is this a good idea? easy?

I realise ill have to repaint every 4/5 years but am I still drinking too much ouzo?

Sponsored Links
Is it a good idea? Well, that depends on personal taste. Why not sleep on it for a few weeks forst to see if the holiday honeymoon period has faded otherwise you may regret it.

Anyway, is it easy? It depends on whether or not you can plaster really.

You'd need to render it with sand and cement. Two coats. First coat of 4:1 sand cement, scratch it up to key it and then a second coat 5:1 sand cement or 5:1:1 sand cement lime.

TBH, it's not easy at all. The best way for you to do it would be to tack battens to the wall all round and render between the battens, using a straight edge to draw up to level the render. Then as the render dries remove the battens and fill in the gaps left.

You'd also be better fitting bell cast beads a foot or so off the ground and only rendering from that point up.

I also reckon you may need to paint more often than every four years.

One thing's for sure - it'll make the yard a lot brighter.

Oh, and don't forget to paint your doors blue.

Regards

Fred

cheers

I have seen those bell cast you mean.

I was thinking of building some beds out of breeze block and plastering those and painting white as well.

The yard was tarmac'd a while back and not sure if I want to rip it all up, so some decking, gravel and beds round the side, with white walls maybe easier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back