Disaster !!!! Now how do I Level it out ??? Please help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

My names Dan but with the recent nightmare on my hands I've decided to sign up here and ask for help under the name of Disaster Dan !

I work for my Dad a few days a week helping him restore this old victorian house and am now a bit of a jack. The thing is that I have now experience of having messed up 3 floors in attempts to level them, the floor I messed up recently being the biggest disaster of all !

What I've done is used self levelling compound to level out a smooth condrete floor with drops to 15 odd mm. My mistake was that I tried to do it all one go and most of the finish has now crazy paved and come loose so I'm now In the middle of lifting it off and chiseling off whats held.

What Id like to know is if theres a cheaper solution to self levelling compund as this mistake has already cost us £250 odd !!!

Can I use screed to fill the worst and then self evelling compund ??

Could I get away with good old sand and cement, then level it out using a level on a piece of wood and then tile on to that directly ???

My fears are that cement won't hold to a smooth concrete surface so what can I do, are there any cheaper solutions of should I go for the same job again and use some sort of a primer and build up the self levelling compund 6 mm at a time ???

Thanks for your time guys,

Disaster Dan

Sponsored Links
Hello and welcome.

The answer to your questions is -

no
no
and no!
Read the stickys at the top of forum for advice. And yes you would be better doing two lots of levelling. Take the big dips out on the one day and then a full coat a couple of days later. What compound are you using? And did you prime before?

Ha ha !

Nah, I didn't prime before.

So this time I'm going to do as you and others have suggested and that is to level the floor in 2 or 3 stages and seal the existing floor with PVA.

Cheers.

Disaster Dan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back